With Enhancement Package 5 SAP makes use of the Object Based Navigation (OBN) when calling ESS/MSS standard services. The Object Based Navigation is supposed to offer more flexibility in changing the underlying application and to loosen the coupling between the called application and its configuration. Briefly worded, instead of calling a specific URL you call a procedure of a Business Object.
Practical examples are for instance the Manager Self-Service (MSS) or more precisely the Personal Object Worklist (POWL), the Employee Profile and the Employee Compensation Profile.
So far, so good. This works smoothly in most cases when standard applications are concerned. In case you want to use your own application configuration for a WebDynpro ABAP application, different errors may occur. There are multiple reasons why error messages appear when calling the services. Locating some of the causes can consume quite some time. Therefore I thought of sharing some of my experiences.
A common error I have faced is this one:
“There is no iView available for system “SAP_ERP_Human_Resources”: object “employee”. For more information, contact your administrator.”
In the following I’d like to list some possible causes and how to fix them fast:
- Support Package not up to date > Read SAP note 1386141
- Missing setting “User Set of Roles” in Launchpad > Transaction LPD_CUST go to extras > general settings and check “User Set of Roles”
- IView is not located in the Portal Role of the calling OBN > Content Administration and maintain the Portal Role
- IView is not registered to the Business Object
- Application parameters are not maintained in the Launchpad > Transaction LPD_CUST
Following this link you can find a more in-depth explanation and screenshots in the form of a How-To. However, for the moment it is currently in German. The Screenshots might still be a help in order to find the locations more easily. I hope this can be of use for clearing some annoying obstacles and saves some time!