SAP BW on HANA CodeJam was a fantastic event by SAP in co-ordination with TCS, Hyderabad. I have gone through many blogs / presentations / books …etc. covering the topics related to SAP BW on HANA and never got an opportunity to understand how exactly the integration happens and how SAP HANA Information Models (Analytical and Calculation views) can be consumed in SAP BW and create InfoProviders in SAP BW.
This event helped me in up scaling my knowledge by completing the below exercises on brand new SAP BW and HANA servers. Thanks a lot to SAP providing such a branch new infrastructure to make our hands dirty.
- Creation of Transient InfoProvider – If you have SAP ECC (powered by SAP HANA) got the embedded BW component then this exercise takes you through how to create a Transient InfoProvider based out SAP HANA models using the transaction RSDD_HM_PUBLISH. SAP BW system will automatically create Analytical Index on SAP HANA Database.
- Creation of Virtual InfoProvider – the SAP BW Virtual InfoProvider dynamically access the data from SAP HANA models by having one on one mapping between Characteristics and Key Figures of virtual info cube to attributes and measures of SAP HANA Models. I was excited by seeing the new option called “Based on a HANA Model” while creating SAP BW Virtual InfoProvider.
- Creation of Composite InfoProvider – this is the time to use the transaction RSLIMO with EXPERT mode to combine one or more analytical indexes and create a Composite InfoProvider.
- Creation of DB Connect InfoProvider – good experience on creation of a logical source system based out of SAP HANA Data Model in RSA1. Custom DataSource creation on SAP HANA Information Model was really nice feature.
- Creation of Visualization using Analysis OLAP and Design Studio – at last, we have seen how to create visualization using Analysis OLAP and Design Studio tools from SAP BusinessObjects – BI Portfolio, Thanks to SAP to have 360 degree learning against BW on HANA.
The event started with nice presentation by Padmashree on what is SAP CodeJam and the purpose of the CodeJam was pretty simple and crispy. Thanks a lot to Ranju Gupta on providing excellent background on SAP HANA. The way Vijayakumar has gone deep into the SAP BW powered by HANA architectural was awesome.
Associates participated from TCS, NTT DATA, and Infosys …etc. has shown doubled energy during hands-on and none was ready for lunch break, made touch time for TCS coordinators! Wow, enjoyed the yummy yummy and sumptuous lunch.
Thanks one and all who made this event as highly successful one.