How to Synchronize GUID between Enterprise Service Repository and System Landscape Directory Software Component Versions
Introduction: To begin with development work in the Enterprise Service Repository of PI/PO, a software component version will normally be created in the SLD and imported into the ESR. However, there are situations in which a software component has been created locally in ESR and the same needs to be maintained in the SLD. It is also possible that the SWCV is was existing originally in the SLD and then imported into ESR but somehow it went missing in the SLD (may be it was deleted). This will mean also that a new SWCV with the same name will need to be created in the SLD, but the challenge is, this new SWCV to be created will have a new GUID which is different from the one in ESR. This article gives an overview of how to maintain the same GUID for SWCV in the SLD and ESR. Some of the steps below can be skipped depending on which stage of problem you are.
Step by Step Activities
- Create the SWCV locally in ESR
2. The Software Component version has the following details when created;
3. To maintain this same software component version in the SLD, a number of step will be performed. This will be to keep the GUID of this SWCV component created locally as that which will be created in SLD.
4. Create a new product for this SWCV
5.Create the same SWCV with same name in the SLD on the product
6. After creating the SWCV, follow the steps below to change the GUID to the same as that created locally in ESR
7. Go to the SLD homepage, click on the “Administration” tab
8.Under the content tab, select the option “Maintenance”
9. Under the Maintain content on this SLD, choose the option “CIM Instances”
10. Under “View and Maintain Data on CIM Level”, make the following settings
11. Search for the new SWCV created earlier in the SLD change the GUID to that in the ESR using the “properties” tab
Note: When you copy the ID from of the SWCV from ESR, it is of this format “40dab440e5bd11e385a60000008396ea”, but when you change it in the SLD, you have to use this format “40dab440-e5bd-11e3-85a6-0000008396ea”. The difference is, you have to put 4 hyphens, to determine the positions to put the hyphens do the following
a) Count the first 8 characters put hyphen after the 8 character
b) Count the next 4 characters and put hyphen
c) Count the next 4 characters and put hyphen
d) Count the next 4 characters and put hyphen
After this, you should have the second format above hyphens. You could also compare with an existing SWCV in SLD and ESR to confirm
12. Save the changes and you would have created a SWCV with the same name and GUID as that in the ESR
Conclusion: With the steps above performed, you will be able to sync the GUID between your SLD and ESR. To test this, if you try to import the SWCV again in your ESR, you will not find it as one of the lists because it is already existing in the ESR. Also, if you try to create a dependency on the SWCV from another SWCV and you update the SLD info of this dependent SWCV, it should be updated successfully.