Let’s Find Cloned Programs!
Cloned programs give major headache and maintenance issues when we go for an upgrade.
Before writing this program i have gone through various documents and threads which explains clone hunting in various methods.
My conclusion was to use the SAP standard way. If the system status meets the below criteria.
“System –> Status and you should see ST-PI 2008_1_XXX, which could be one of the following:
2008_1_46C, 2008_1_620, 2008_1_640, 2008_1_700, 2008_1_710
To get the Clonefinder, all you need to be in ST-PI SP4. Then use the transaction /SDF/CD_CCA” — Courtesy : Wiki in the above link.
So, i want to put that transaction to the maximum use and find all the SAP custom cloned programs which got effected due to upgrade.
Below is the step by step procedure which i followed to find all SAP custom cloned programs.
1. Find all the custom packages in our system.
a. Get all the “Z” packages from TVEDC table.
2. Prioritize the packages based on their importance by speaking to the Functional consultant.
a. Find out the number of objects per package and prioritize the packages based on the number of objects as well. (highest number of objects takes the first priority). TADIR table comes to rescue here. (Number of objects per package. Wrote a small program to do this task).
b. We are interested only in programs and function modules here. Smartforms, scripts can be left. By the end of this step, we will have all the packages prioritized based on the number of objects it has.
3. Now execute the transaction code /SDF/CD_CCA (Check the authorizations to execute it) with one package at a time or 10 based on the number of packages and load on each package as per convinience.
4. From the output, copy the SAP standard programs column and feed them to TRDIR table where “NAME” = SAP standard programs and UDAT = Upgrade date range. So this effectively filters the objects and gives us only those standard programs which were effected due to upgrade.
5. We have to change only those Custom cloned programs whose standard programs got effected due to the upgrade
6. Version compare the standard program before upgrade and after upgrade and take a call if those changes are important for the custom program program as well.
p.s I have done the upgrade using Panaya Tool as well. Tool does the above steps for us and it sets the priority based on the usage levels of the program in production and the similarities. Even without tool also we can prioritize and find the similarities with the help of standard SAP itself.
Kindly pour in your inputs and your experiences with the clone programs. Anyways we all agree that less cloning and lesser maintenance