Exciting news this week at EMC World (#EMCWorld) for the SAP Ecosystem!
First, EMC acquires DSSD, Extending Flash Storage Leadership, which should prove promising for EMC and SAP’s long-standing relationship in making it even stronger. You can check out a fun blog for more on EMC World’s first day announcement here: PUT UP OR SHUT UP – EMC Goes big with Flash & Cloud on Day One at EMC World. In fact, SAP CEO Bill McDermott was larger than life as part of EMC CEO Joe Tucci’s opening keynote yesterday in front of a packed crowd of 10,000+!
Another big announcement occurred early this morning, when SAP and VMware Announce SAP HANA® for Production Use on VMware vSphere 5.5 with EMC IT leading the way! This is exciting on many different levels:
- EMC IT is running BPC on Virtualized HANA, and has seen incredible results: Why EMC IT Virtualized SAP HANA with VMware™
- EMC IT is leading the way with a Virtualization strategy, as supported by EMC IT Lead SAP Technical Architect Mike Harding: EMC Pulse Blog by EMC IT
- Summed up best by VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger: “Our customers are evolving their IT infrastructures from physical environments to a software-defined data center architecture and they are looking for solutions that provide agility, high availability, elasticity, efficiency and control for their most mission-critical and demanding in-production enterprise environments.“
- To those naysayers out there – actually there really isn’t a hit performance-wise to SAP HANA even running on bare metal, as SAP’s head of data management, Ken Tsai says, “We’re happy to say that in the tests we have seen, by and large if the customer follows the deployment guidance – one single VM in the preconfigured and certified appliance – the performance is very close to the bare metal….The performance tradeoff is not significant.” You can read the full article from The Register here: SAP cloaks HANA in terabyte dress for VMware’s dance hall • The Register
For more details on the benefits EMC IT has gained, please look at the following quick reads:
- SAP REDEFINED: EMC IT Virtualizes SAP HANA with VMware
- EMC Perspective: EMC IT Virtualizes SAP HANA with VMware
I thought I’d also highlight some other interesting blogs about SAP & VMware’s support for Virtualized HANA within social media:
- Virtualized HANA – A reality? Yes, it is.
- SAP HANA Now Supported on VMware vSphere 5.5 in Production – VMware Blogs
- SAP & VMware Support Virtualizing HANA for Simpler Faster Deployment
And finally, whether you’re in Vegas or remote, at 4:30pmPDT today 5/6/2014 join us for a live crowdchat at https://www.crowdchat.net/EMCWorld with thought leaders, including EMC IT Lead SAP Technical Architect Mike Harding, SAP Mentor Phil Loewen, SAP Americas Sales Lead Henrik Wagner, EMC’s SAP Solutions Marketing Lead Axel Streichardt, General Manager SAP BULT Andy Sitison, and hopefully many others!
Hope to see you on the CrowdChat today at 4:30pmPDT, and as always I look forward to learning, collaborating and engaging. Please feel free to reach out to me in the Twitter-sphere @Sylvie75015