Here is a quick summary and a list of some useful pointers for customers requiring real-time data within BW. In general, there is 3 options:
- real-time (0 sec*) w/o any replication via transient or virtual infoproviders and / or infoobjects,
- real-time (1-5 sec*) via SLT replication,
- real-time (1-5 min*) via real-time data acquisition (RDA) enabled extractors.
Marc Hartz’s presentationon the options covers details on all these approaches. Let me add a few comments:
- Approach 1. allows to report on any SQL-accessible table or view in HANA independent from the fact whether that table or view sits in the same schema as all the other BW tables or in any other schema of the same HANA instance or in any other DB server connected via smart data access (SDA). In that sense, it complements the table replication approach via SLT in 2.
- Approach 2. has three flavours, namelyMechanism a. combines with approach 1. while b. and c. combine with RDA, i.e. approach 3., which exists since BW 7.0.
- Real-time data acquisition (RDA)is supported by a number of standard extractors, e.g. see OSS notes:
* This is the latency between the data being created and the data being visible in a report or dashboard.