There are some reporting scenarios where we need to use time characteristics based hierarchy. These hierarchies based on various time characteristics can be activated using the transaction code RSRHIERARCHYVIRT.
Here we can select a suitable hierarchy, based on our reporting needs, from a list of available hierarchies. These hierarchies are known as Virtual Time Hierarchy as these are not saved in database tables, but generated virtually in the main memory.
The procedure to activate these hierarchies is as follows:
1. Go to the transaction code RSRHIERARCHYVIRT
2. We get the following screen on executing this T-Code.
3.Here under the General Settings tab we see a time interval which basically shows the duration for which the time characteristics hierarchies will be available. We can change the time duration as per our requirement.
4. Now for activating the desired hierarchy we click the tab Virtual Time Hierarchies.
Here we get to see list of all the available hierarchies.
In the left pane we can see all the activated time characteristics (date, Cal. Year/Month, Calendar Month, Fiscal Year/period etc.) for which hierarchies are supported in characteristics maintenance.
5. We select the required time characteristic using the button as shown below(for example Cal. Year /month).
Once we click on the required time characteristics, we get to see the available hierarchies in the right upper screen area.
6. Next step is to select the hierarchy by double clicking it or dragging and dropping it on the lower right screen area.
In this case we have selected “cal. year/ quar.” present under “half year” hierarchy. In the lower half of the screen the start level for this hierarchy can be selected.
With the start level, you determine the level to which the hierarchy is expanded in the opening
For example , here we have selected “Half Year” as the starting point, so the order of the node in which the hierarchy can be used to drill down is “Half Year” -> “Cal. Year /Quar.” – > “Cal. Year / Month” .
7. The last step is to save the changes and note the technical name of the hierarchy.
8. Now we are ready to use this activated hierarchy in our Bex query designer. Here we start creating a query on our infoprovider which has the field “Cal, Year / Month”.
9. Under properties of the Cal. Year/ Month, click on hierarchy tab and then click on the button meant for hierarchy selection as shown below.
The pop-up appears for selection of the available hierarchy. Once we click on the drop-down for hierarchy name we get to see the hierarchy activated earlier.
We select this hierarchy and click ok.
One key figure has already been included for testing the query. Now we save this query and see the output in the transaction RSRT.
Here we can see the half years further subdivided into quarter and then the respective months.