Lesson Learned for the upgrade.

What to Test?

During the upgrade process, we found that we have too many reports, and  it is almost impossible to test every report.

we ran a audit report and filter out all report that was not used in last 2 years.

Then we sort by top 200 most actively used report and exclude persontal report in personal folder, old, test,instances, draft, archive, we also exclude some of the reports that was managed by power users.

Test Script:

to cover yourself, every report should have 1 word document, each with 1 screen shot from BO 3.1 and 1 screen short from BO 4.1. Also we schedule the reports and export 1 PDF and 1 Excel to verify that data. Printed hard copy is important as evidence as well.

Version:

Install BI 4.1 SP2 Patch 5 or SP3 Patch 1 and above.

too many bugs on SP2 Patch 2.

Output all reports and their folder path using Query Building

– some manual vlookup on excel is required.

Hardware.

RAM: Dev 32 GB , Prod 64GB

Harddisk : C:\ OS (100GB)

D:\ Apps (Server Related apps ) 100 GB

E:\ Apps2 (BO Related apps ) 300GB

filestore (dev box, local disk 700GB) , (prod 1TB using Microsoft DFS with 2 server, easier for DR)

DNS:

always register CNAME for all BO server. e.g. bo1.corp.com, bo2.corp.com),

when do setspn using the CNAME as well

Avoid hard cording at all cost

– try to use relative links on all development, it will make migration in the future easier.

To report this post you need to login first.

Be the first to leave a comment

You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.

Leave a Reply