Web Intelligence documents can be created, edited or consumed via three different interfaces:
- Applet (Java)
- Desktop (Rich Client)
The following blog post is a feature comparison of the two web-based modes (HTML & Applet) on the latest version currently available (BI 4.1 SP03).
Select a Data Source
Data sources specific to Applet (Java): Excel, BEx & Analysis View.
Document Linking Wizard
- HTML is the only interface that offers a “Document Linking Wizard” within the [Report Elements] tab.
- Leveraging OpenDocument syntax is still possible in the Applet (Java) interface but must be entered manually.
- Note: While Web Intelligence documents based on BEx must be created in Applet (Java) mode, developers can still leverage the HTML specific document linking feature by viewing a Web Intelligence/BEx report and switching to “Design” mode.
Only Applet (Java) can create new formatting rules.
Data Source Management
Features specific to Applet (Java):
- “Data” mode (in addition to Reading & Design).
- Ability to add a “New data provider” directly within Design mode (Data Access > Data Providers).
- Ability to “Change Source” directly within Design mode (Data Access > Tools).
- Ability to Delete, Rename and Change Source within Data mode.
Only Applet (Java) can apply Custom number formats.