BI 4.1 SP3 Update – Tips
Here are some of the simple tips that would save hrs while applying Sp3 update on BI 4.1 systems
1. Before applying update, read Sp3 update guide and PAM to make sure your system is compatible
2. If your system has both BI 4 and DS 4 , you must make sure DS version is compatible with BI4. Otherwise DS4 will not work ( SAP Note 1740516)
3. Take backup of custom config files, tomcat configuration, OS, FRS if it is on NAS drive and Database
4. Once you ready start the update, follow this simple best practices
a. Stop all services except CMS , Input and output FRS
b. Disable Antivirus ( if antivirus running, it may slow down the update, some of the files may not be copied properly and eventually your update would end up with an error – We confirmed this is in our system , updated SAP as well… On BO 3.1 system with SP7, if AV is not disabled, SIA would not start after update, only option is to uninstall, disable AV and run it again)
c. Check free space on your disk
5. At the end of update, it tomcat is not starting, verify max and initial heap are same value.
Some of the steps are not documented in the update guide so, please refer SAP note- 1757132 – BI4 Support Pack Upgrade and
Patch Install Best Practice Guide for more tips.
One of the concern for Business objects SP update is speed.. if any one has better or additional tips, please update.
Usually the points mentioned in the below KBA help as well.
1952120 - SAP BusinessObjects (XI 3.1 and BI 4.0) Installation pre-requisites & best practices