Do you know that you don’t have to deploy and restart the whole application over and over again just to see your latest changes while developing on SAP HANA Cloud Platform? You can now speed up your development by applying and activating changes on the already running application.
Just use the hot-update command (beta) in the console client..
With hot-update, you redeploy and update the binaries of an application started on one process faster than the normal deploy and restart.
Use the — strategy parameter to choose among three approaches to hot-update:
- replace-binaries – redeploys and updates the application binaries
- restart-runtime – redeploys and updates the application binaries and restarts the application process
- reprovision-runtime – cleans up the file system, reprovisions the runtime and redeploys and updates the application binaries
The different strategies help you to update your application depending on its behavior.
For example, to update a web resource like image, you can use the first strategy. To support applications that need to retrigger the initialization logic, use the restart-runtime strategy, while apps that want to have a clean file system can make use of the reprovision strategy.
neo hot-update –host us1.hana.ondemand.com –account myacc –application myapp –source samples/deploy_war/example.war –user email@example.com –strategy replace-binaries
The hot update is still in beta so do not use it to update productive applications. Use it only for testing purposes during development.
The beta state still has the following limitations:
- Works only if there is a single running process of the application.
- Removing WAR files is not supported.
You cannot change deploy parameters and context path of the application.
Try it out!
It will save you a lot of time.
Give us your feedback and we will make it even better.