While I was giving a very detailed reply to a Discussion post sometime ago, the idea of posting this blog came to my mind.
The client, a process Industry has several thousands of measuring points on which measurements taken at certain frequencies.
The queries were
1. How can I schedule the Measurement taking?
2, What are the Standard Tools available for Mass upload of the Measuring Documents?
In my reply I have added point3 as under:
3. What are the User-friendlily tools available for uploading Mass Measuring Documents.
My reply was in these lines
1. You know about Entry Lists (IK31). Segregate your 1000s of measuring points as per their schedules (frequency of reading). Suppose you came out with 12 lists. Make 12 Entry Lists using IK31 with these 12 sets of Measuring points. Now make 12 Maintenance plans (Notifications) each having the frequencies as cycle periods. In the Plan title give the Entry list Number and Timing of Measurement also. if needed, like “Measurements with Entry list 243, at 10:00 AM“.
The purpose of Maint Plans is to remind you through a system Notification that you are supposed to take readings on the measuring points in the Entry List. Then you run IK34 and take readings for that list of measuring points.
2, If you insist on Standard method of recording mass measuring documents, I think i have already answered. The answer is the Entry List (picture)
3. Coming out of the box (i.e., the Entry List method)
We have 2 more custom models in use,
1. Module pool (Screen program) development, to upload the readings. (picture)
In the attached picture only a part of the screen is shown, It is a wide screen, having input fields for all types of Measuring points (About 120)
The Input Process here.:
Enter all readings in the respective input fields of the screen and click Save
2. BDC program using Excel template : This program also gives similar convenience as above, by filling the Excel sheet (picture) and then upload through a Tcode. (I need not elaborate that in this case we will be having 12 Excel templates with respective M/Pts filled and named after the 12 M/Pt Groups)
Also I want to mention that this BDC program is designed to take care of all tyoes of Measuring points i.e., Measuring points with Simple Readings, Counter Readings and Valuation Codes.
Bottom line from my side
The ultimate user-friendliness in this area of one-stroke uploading of mass measuring documents can not avoid the ABAP development.
… And I prefer BDC program to a Module pool program.
Often during discussions related to User-friendliness, some members refer to a recently added SAP product namely SAP Screen personas . Because I do not have it at my place, unable to comment on the suitability of the same for issues like this.
Jogeswara Rao K