Preserving assets supports economic growth and improves citizens lives
Around the world, infrastructure is under considerable strains due to globalization, population growth and urbanization. Public sector organizations in advanced industrial economies like the United States and Western Europe have aging infrastructures requiring repair and replacement. Meanwhile developing countries face an even greater challenge to create new transportation, communication, water and energy networks to encourage economic growth and improve citizens lives.
The investment requirements are enormous. Consider the United States. In the “2013 Report Card on Infrastructure”, the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) estimates that US$ 3.6 trillion investment in infrastructure is required by 2020. The report rates US infrastructure overall a D+ based on their physical condition and needed fiscal investments in 16 categories such as roads, transit, bridges, drinking water, energy, schools, parks, and other assets.
Developing countries need to build and manage infrastructure to foster economic growth. According to the World Bank, research shows that every 10 percent increase in provision of infrastructure raises long term output by about 1 percent. And improved infrastructure quality accounts for 30 percent of growth associated with infrastructure in developing countries. (Source: World Bank website )
With rising budget pressures, public sector organizations everywhere must make the most of existing infrastructure. The traditional approach of using something until it fails is no longer acceptable. Most public sector organizations are using some sort of preventive maintenance based on time or usage, combined with citizen reports of issues, e.g., potholes, to maintain assets. Public sector organizations can take this a step further, with predictive maintenance of infrastructure and equipment to better serve citizens. We need to keep our citizens safe and our communities sustainable.
SAP offers solutions to help public sector organizations better manage their infrastructure by providing workers with all the information and tools they need when and where they need it. Together with back-end enterprise asset management systems, a mobile platform and security, these mobile solutions support asset and infrastructure maintenance:
- SAP Work Manager – Enable your field service workforce with complete visibility into work orders. Boost performance of inspectors and fieldservices personnel by sending work orders to their mobile device, enabling field workers to enter inspection info one time with mobile device at the infrastructure site.
- SAP Rounds Manager – Streamline routine equipment condition monitoring and meter reading while improving data accuracy.
- SAP Inventory Manager – Facilitate the visibility and management of material, parts and tools across your organization.
- SAP 3D Enterprise Viewer – Maintain, inspect, repair, install, remove, select, and order parts. ŸEliminate inaccuracies and lost time associated with language differences, paper based transactions, and undocumented part histories. Improve workforce productivity and safety. Reduce costs.
- SAP CRM Service Manager – Boost field technician productivity and improve service delivery
Public sector customers could add analytics to predict maintenance and better preserve assets. Using these technology tools to manage infrastructure and assets such as roads, buildings, and equipment helps public sector create sustainable communities and improve quality of life for citizens.
What do you think? What do you see in your country?
Great blog, Marlyn.
Thank you for sharing these insights.
Public Service agencies looking for quick successes with implementations of the products mentioned above can take advantage of best practices and predictable outcomes within just a few weeks using these Rapid Deployment Solutions (RDS).
• SAP Work Manager rapid-deployment solution accelerates the implementation with preconfigured content to integrate SAP Work Manager with SAP Enterprise Asset
Management (Plant Maintenance) to improve time-to-value proposition of SAP Work Manager mobile app. Download the implementation content for free right
here (S-User required). Access the package on the SAP Service Marketplace: service.sap.com/rds-wm Read this blog to learn more about Work Manager RDS.
• SAP CRM Mobile Service rapid-deployment solution streamlines the day-to-day business of a field technician, who is on the road with the service back office process to manage service orders and spare parts inventory.
Download the implementation content for free here (S-User required). Access the package on the SAP Service Marketplace: service.sap.com/rds-mob-srv
Each of the two packages may be implemented in just 5 weeks.
Learn more about Rapid Deployment Solutions here: sap.com/rds