Things to consider when loading/migrating data into new BW system
1) What data(years, division, applications, countries etc.) will we migrate from what systems to BW?
2) What data will reside “only in BW”? There may be cases that you don’t want to move old data into ECC but may want to keep in BW only for regulatory etc reasons
3) What data will NOT be moved to BW, so that we can exclude from our extractions – e.g. CRM, certain division, before certain year etc?
4) What is data archiving strategy for BW? or data retention period? such as keeping only current plus two fiscal year data
5) Will there be a parallel landscape (e.a ‘ BW on HANA and a classic BW) during transition for some period? The reason for the question is there might be problems getting delta from same tables to many BW systems
6) Will the data be presented in English only?
7) Will there be any data moving from BW to other systems ( such as forecasting/planning/SAS? )
8) Will there be any MDM/MDG rules? Since BW can accept data from any resources we may need to re-route them to MDM/MDG application before extracting into BW
9) Is there any requirement to load non-structured data into BW?
10) Will there be any sensitive data (customer SSN, credit card numbers, employee salaries etc)?
11) Do we allow changing data in BW?
S1) Are we required to keep any time-dependent master data?
S2) Will there be any Inventory type data (non-cumulative data) that we need an opening balances?
S3) Will there be BPC on top of BW?
S4) Do we delete data (instead of reversing it) in the source systems or do we manipulate data in the source systems w/o going thru the application layer?