Author's profile photo Suman Thangadurai

Difference between “When value Becomes & When value Changes”

Hi all,

Intention of this post is to explain the difference between “When value becomes” & “When value changes” in Refresh option in the Dashboard Designer. I have used the Query refresh button here to explain the differences.

Rather than explaining with the dummy information, I decided to go with the real-time information. This dashboard is used to view the Collection done by Finance department by Segment, Plant, Month & Date.

ScreenHunter_24 Mar. 18 18.55.jpg

I have created a dashboard, which is displaying four charts

• Pie Chart – Segment info in percentage
  • Combination Chart 1 – plant wise info
  • Combination Chart 2 – month wise info
  • Line Chart – day wise info

Prompts applied to chart:

• Pie Chart – Month(Ranges From – to)
  • Combination Chart 1– Month(Ranges) & Segment(Pie chart)
  • Combination Chart 2 – Month(Ranges), Segment(Pie chart) & Plant(Combination Chart 1)
  • Line Chart – Segment(Pie chart), Plant(Combination Chart 1) & Month (Combination Chart 2)

Pie Chart – Prompt

ScreenHunter_26 Mar. 18 19.21.jpg

Combination Chart 1– Prompt

ScreenHunter_26 Mar. 18 19.22.jpg

Combination Chart 2– Prompt

ScreenHunter_27 Mar. 18 19.22.jpg

Line Chart – Prompt

ScreenHunter_28 Mar. 18 19.22.jpg

All four charts are having different BW queries created in query browser to get the data into pieces of information. Generally the triggering option for the reports will be “When the value changes” i.e., when a value changed for any query using any selector automatically the data gets refreshed. But here the month is the major prompt which is having the ranges so customers need to hold the trigger until they confirm the ranges. So I have used the push button as “Submit” to confirm the changes. Once the “Submit” button is clicked the queries get triggered. Except pie chart all other three are having other prompts which are triggered when the user clicks any series values basically driven by insertion tab in the properties.

I have used four refresh button to refresh all four charts, Except the first refresh button (Pie chart) all other refresh button trigger dynamically by using “When value changes”. Let us see how the chart are get triggered now.

Pie chart (Query Refresh Button 1)

Note: I have used the option “Refresh after Components are loaded”, so here the dashboard invokes quickly and looks for the data.

ScreenHunter_25 Mar. 18 19.05.jpg

Combination chart 1(Query Refresh Button 2)

ScreenHunter_25 Mar. 18 19.07.jpg

Combination chart 2(Query Refresh Button 3)

ScreenHunter_26 Mar. 18 19.07.jpg

Line Chart (Query Refresh Button 4)

ScreenHunter_26 Mar. 18 19.08.jpg

Make sure to remove all “Refresh before components are loaded” option from the queries.

ScreenHunter_26 Mar. 18 19.13.jpg

Hope this document help to understand the difference in-depth.

Assigned tags

Hi Suman,

The drill down functionality is good it is easy with less Excel functions and I hope the performance will be good. To drill down 3-4 levels I used to use many excel formulas but there are very few here(no lookups used) and I would use this approach in future.

Thanks&Regards

Krishna

Author's profile photo Suman Thangadurai
      Suman Thangadurai
      Blog Post Author

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for your feedback.

Always my approach is to eliminate as much as excel formula in the development. So that your dashboard performance will be good.

Suman T

Hi Suman,

In the prompts applied in the charts(line and combination) you have not selected any values for the prompt. Normally if we don't pass any values to the prompts then we get blank data. How could you get the data.

Thanks&Regards,

Krishna

Author's profile photo Suman Thangadurai
      Suman Thangadurai
      Blog Post Author

Hi Hari,

By default i have selected the first values bar in the combination chart, you can see that in the subsequent chart title, i am not leaving the prompts empty even at the time of invoking.

Off-course as you said it cannot empty, i have made the prompts as mandatory by removing the optional prompts.

SumanT

Hi,

Thanks Suman for the reply, could you send a Sample xlf file of this that would be great.

Thanks&Regards,

Krishna

Author's profile photo Suman Thangadurai
      Suman Thangadurai
      Blog Post Author

Send me a test mail for your mail id, i will reply back to that attaching the xlf. you can get my mail id from my profile page.

Hi Suman,

I could not get find your mail id in the profile page, could you please update there or you can get my mail id in my profile page and send the file that would be great.

Thanks for your help,

Krishna

Author's profile photo Suman Thangadurai
      Suman Thangadurai
      Blog Post Author

Even i cannot see your id.

Hi Suman,

Please check now it is visible.

Thanks&Regards,

Krishna

Hi suman,

can you please pass this Xlf for reference, my id is y22m7p91@yahoo.co.in

Thanks in advance,

Yash

Author's profile photo Balakumar Krishnasamy
      Balakumar Krishnasamy

Hello Suman,

This is great . Can you please mail me your xlf for the reference.... I would like to use this approach.. my mail id is "balakrish258@gmail.com"

Regards,

Bala Krish

Author's profile photo Suman Thangadurai
      Suman Thangadurai
      Blog Post Author

Thanks sent to your id.

Hi Suman,

Many thanks for your simple explanation. I'm new to Dashboards and I have a similar requirement would you be kind enough to send me the xlf files too please to dperika@gmail.com

Thanks a million

Dev

Hi Suman,

I have a requirement as follows

1. Default region assigned for each user and a table 1has details.

2. Currently dashboards designed to refresh components before load

3. There are 15 queries which has region filter is mapped to single cell and the cell is hardcoded with default value.

4. Drop down box for region is created and the target data is mapped to same cell above and hence when user selects some region and clicks refresh everything will be refreshed

Now I need the default region to come from the table 1 when initial loading to happen.

I tried by making this query as refresh before components to load  and rest all queries refresh when value changes. However I am not able to meet the requirement.

Appreciate if you have any thoughts

Thanks

Hi Suman,

Any thoughts on above?

Suman,

Many thaks for providing the file

ta

Hi Suman,

Good work, and information is helpful.

Thank you so much for the information.

Author's profile photo Suman Thangadurai
      Suman Thangadurai
      Blog Post Author

Thanks Karthik 🙂

Former Member

Good work ...Thanks for sharing.

Hi Suman

Good work ...

Please Share Me the File

Advance Thanks

Ravi Kumar A

Hi Suman,

Nice and informative post.

Can you please send me your xlf to my mail id b124847@gmail.com

Regards,

Ravish

Hi Suman,
      Very informative and different approach for Drill down.
      I just started working on BO Dashboards  and I am having similar drill down requirement from our client. Can you please send me the .XFL file to arjunsai09@gmail.com.  Sorry I couldn't find your email in your profile.
      Thank you for the knowledge sharing.
      -Arjun.