The recipe below shows you how to make a one River Application in one day.
- 7 x people from companies with ideas for apps
- 2 x River Developers from SAP Israel (freshly imported)
- 2 x River Developers (local variety)
- 1 x HANA box at SP7 running ERP
- 1 x SAP Mentor
- Whiteboards / flip charts / pens
- Coffee / sandwiches and cakes
- Introduce all the ingredients to each other and after some small talk get down to discussing the applications they would like to see created.
- For each application idea discuss how that could be achieved with SAP River, considering where the data for the application will be sourced/delivered to SAP River (SAP HANA) platform and the business logic.
- Select the application to create based on input from the SAP River developers and the companies, trying to select something that isn’t too hard….but isn’t too easy – we selected Smart Incident Report/Alerting, an application that would tweet patterns it found in incidents reported (e.g lots happening in this location).
- Design the first cut of the applications and let the developers get to work.
- Whilst the app is cooking, take the time to explore what SAP River is and where it fits with the SAP innovation toolset.
- Check on the App every 15-20 minutes with playbacks of the code to the team.
- After 2 hours start adding more complex features until everyone feels that they have a great understanding of how SAP River fits together.
Thanks to everyone who took part and I would recommend this recipe to anyone trying to understand SAP River.