These days, BODS is playing a very important role in SAP system landscape.
Many customers use BODS to pull data from Non-SAP systems and load to SAP BW.
These documents are primarily intended for BW Consultants who would like to know more about integration, modelling, and transport mechanism related to BODS.
In part 1, we have gone through integration between BW and BODS using RFC Functionality.(http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-48917)
In part 2, we have gone through BODS modelling especially when we have SAP BW as a data target. (http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-52550)
In this part 3 document, we will try to understand the transport mechanism within BODS.
Please note that this is not the best practise that SAP recommends. This approach would be useful only in case where there is some hardware limitation and in projects where limited people are working in the tool. The best practise is to have a Central and Local repository and work based on check-in and Check-out concept.
1) Log into the BODS Development server
2) Go to Tools Menu –> Export Option.
3) Navigate to the flow which you wants to transport.
In this case, I want to transport the Financier job and the included objects to the Production system.
4) Drag the required job to ‘Objects to Export’ Pane:
5) After step 4, the datastores included in the job will automatically get collected in the ‘Datastores to export’ pane.
In my case, the source datastore is the Oracle CRM and target datastore is BW target.
Also, I have already transported the above 2 datastores previously. So I will exclude both the datastores in this transport.
6) Excluded datastores will be shown in Red cross mark
7) Now Right click on the selected job and click ‘Export to XML file’ option.
Export to ATL file is another option to transport, but it is not in scope of this document.
8) Save the xml file in a convenient folder, In this case I am saving it in my Desktop,
9) System will prompt you to enter a password. This will be required in later stage.
10) You get will get the status of Export.
11) Now open the file which you saved in step 8.
(Using open with –> Notepad option)
12) Open the notepad and find the source CRM Dev connection name and replace(all) it with oracle CRM Prod connection name.
Source — APPS
Target — CRMTST1
13) Similarly do the same for BODS Connections aswell.
Dev – SAPBODSDEV
Prod – BODSPB1
14) Enter the BODS designer and give the Production Credentials.
15) Goto Tools –> Import from file.
16) Select the XML file from the saved folder(in my case, it’s desktop)
17) System will prompt you for a password.
Give the same password entered in step 9.
18) Now you will see the exported job and the related objects in the Production environment.
19) Remember to change the source system names in BW aswell.
BW –> RSA1 –> Tools Menu –> Conversion of Logical Systems Name.
Hope you got a basic understanding on the transport/Export mechanism in BODS.