An organization is operating its business in many continents/regions. When it comes to data analysis and decision making based on the BW data, the organization might face various problems because of the larger geographical area and different standard time zones. There might be following problems:
- The data would be very huge. It will take significantly more time to get even a small data records.
- Data loading is usually done in non-business hours. Because of the different time zones, some down time would be required. Reason is that when data load is done as per the non-business hours of 1 region, it could be business hours in other regions.
- If an error occurs in the data of a particular region, it will have impact on the global business. Request will be red and concerned persons from other regions also would not be able to do the analysis.
To overcome such hurdles, SAP has provided an InfoProvider, Semantically Partitioned Object. It is an Infoprovider that contains many InfoCubes or DataStore Objects with same structure. At the time of defining the InfoProvider, we decide to make it as Semantically Partitioned Object.
Note: This feature is available for BI 7.3 or higher version.
Creation of Semantically Partition Object:
1. Right Click InfoArea – > Select Create InfoCube
2. Following screen is displayed. Enter the name of the infoCube. Tick the check box ‘Semantically Partitioned’ and click Create button.
3. Enter the characteristics InfoObjects for this InfoProvider.
4. Enter the KeyFigures.
5. Click Maintain Partition as shown below:
6. We get the following screen:
7. Select the characteristics based on which partition has to be created.
Here we are creating partition based on geography.
8. Click Partition to create required number of partitions. Enter the geography name as required.
9. Here we have created 4 partitions as shown:
10. Now activate the InfoProvider as shown below:
11. InfoProvider gets activated. Now create the transformation as shown below:
12. Enter the details for source.
13. Transformation is created. Activate the transformation.Now create the DTP as shown below:
14. Click Folder to create a new template folder as shown below:
15. Enter the name of Template folder:
16. Right click the created template (ZGEO_SL) à Click Create New DTP Template:
17. Enter DTP Template name.
18. DTP setting screen is displayed:
19. Click Save. Following screen is displayed.
Select DTP Template and the DataSource connected to first partition. Click Assign.
20. Following screen is displayed. Select the ‘Not Yet Generated’ DTP and click Generate.
21. Follow steps 19 and 20 to create the DTP for all the partitions. All the DTPs are created as shown below:
22. Click Create Process Chains to create the process chains for all the partitions:
23. Select first DTP and click Add as shown below:
24. Follow the same procedure to add all the remaining DTPs in process chain.
25. Once all the DTPs are added , click Generate as shown below:
26. After successful generation of process chain, we see the following screen:
27. Click Process Chain Maintenance to display the generated process chain:
28. We get the following process chain created:
Now run this process chain and check the data in each InfoCube:
Data in partition 1:
Data in partition 2:
Data in partition 3:
Data in partition 4:
Check the number of records in PSA.
We find that there are 10 records in PSA but depending on the geographical partition, only the relevant data is being loaded in each InfoCube.
1. Report execution time will be tremendously decreased
2. If error occurs in one partition, other partitions will be not affected and those will be available for reporting.
3. No downtime is required for data load; data in each partitions can be loaded as required.
SPO can be used in case of the creation of multiple InfoCubes based on ‘CALYEAR‘ also. Many projects need this scenario where year wise data is required to be analyzed.