USEFUL TIPS IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING A CAREER IN BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE/ANALYTICS.
1. Passion, persistence and continuous self-development shall be the key success factor for a career in Business Intelligence.
I believe that these qualities will go a long way to distinguish one as the true “data geek” from the gate crashers that have their eyes solely
on the monetary benefit. 😉
2. Next, we need to research about the history and have overview knowledge of the different tool-sets in the SAP Business Intelligence
Portfolio. We ought to know how SAP started by developing the SAP Business Warehouse which is known as the single version of truth touted for been able to extract data from different source systems, transform, store and then present the data for analysis and reporting. How SAP then acquired “Business Objects” which as the reputation for its top class front end tool sets and how it has been able to strengthen the SAP Business Intelligence portfolio and made it the preferred choice amongst customers and the market leader in the industry. For more reference, check http://www.sap.com/pc/analytics/strategy.html , http://en.sap.info/
3. It is also important that we have a good understanding of the entire end-to-end business processes that drives the operations of an enterprise.
The key is to know about the organizational structures, master data and transaction data. The concept of how organizational structure coupled with master data creates transactions. This can be achieved by either having work experience in one of the functional designation (Finance, procurement, Human Resources, etc) or taking up course like “Integrated Business Processes with SAP ERP(TERP 10) ” https://training.sap.com/shop/course/terpe-sap-erp-integration-of-business-processes-e-academies-010-de-en/ which i can personally recommend.
4. We can then begin our Business Intelligence journey by first learning about SAP Business Warehouse and the Business Explorer tool sets to lay a solid foundation for the BI career and then to the SAP Business Object tool set and platform and also the newest technology from SAP HANA impacts Business Intelligence. You can kick start by getting your hands dirty with the various tools provided by this platform http://www.business.vu.edu.au/sap/learninghub.asp and http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-25826.
5. I believe if you follow through with the tips above and deligently learn to understand how the various tools work, you can then proceed by utilizing your newly acquired skill set by either targeting companies that runs on SAP Software or consulting firms that are SAP Partners. Find out more about SAP Patners here http://www.sap.com/partners/overview/find.html and Google.