SAP Visual Enterprise Viewer is a lightweight, powerful viewer for a wide variety of CAD formats. After installing this Viewer, you can run it either as a standalone desktop application or – the option I’ll be presenting here – as a side panel in NWBC for Desktop (3.5 or later). It s also available as an iPad application.
You can install the Viewer ( and, if you like, the authoring tools associated with it) from SAP Service Marketplace/Downloads > Installations and Upgrades (left panel) > A-Z Index > V > SAP Visual Enterprise > Viewer.
Where do the graphics come from?
The graphics come from the Document Management Server (DMS).
For an interesting third-party blog on the DMS, see: SAP DMS and Visual Enterprise
For a technical description of how the two components communicate, see: SAP Library:Communication between SAP Visual Enterprise Generator and DMS and SAP Note 1694219
The images of the material are always fetched from the DMS server. So the first step is to make sure that the desktop PC/laptop (on which NWBC is installed) is communicating properly with the DMS server.
1. Have you installed SAP Visual Enterprise Viewer from the SAP Service Marketplace?
If so, ignore NWBC for now, and just open the Viewer from your local desktop.
Try opening a file locally: Locate a file (ending .rh) on your DMS server, save it locally, and try to open it. Does this work?
2. If that doesn’t work, what about the .jpg of the same name?
If that works, then the problem is probably with the .rh file – or with the 3D Viewer itself. Try a different file; if that doesn’t work, un- and re-install the Viewer.
3. If neither .rh or .jpg works, the problem is probably one of communication between the DMS server and the desktop PC, and is not connected with NWBC. The fastest way to solve this is to open an OSS message.
4. If that works, do your other side panels work, showing the correct data – eg Master Data Details?
5. Finally, check that you have the following roles:
If that fails, open an OSS message, describing what you have already tested.