ESP 5.1 SP04 introduced several cool features that make working with HANA easier:
- Automatic Installation of Event Stream Processor Studio into SAP HANA Studio
- Ability to Act as a Data Source to SAP HANA through Smart Data Access
- Reference Table Queries
- ESP Studio Support for SAP HANA Navigator
When ESP 5.1 SP04 was released, it had been certified to work with HANA Studio versions 1.0.60 up to and including version 1.0.69.
A couple of months after ESP 5.1 SP04 was released HANA Studio 1.0.70 was released. The automatic installation of the ESP plugin does not work with HANA Studio 1.0.70.
Why doesn’t ESP’s plugin install into HANA Studio 1.0.70?
SAP HANA Studio 1.0.70 is based on Eclipse version 4.3.x, whereas ESP Studio SP04 is based on Eclipse 4.2.2. This seemingly small change prevented ESP’s installer from installing the plugin into HANA.
What will happen moving forward?
Starting with ESP/HANA SP08, ESP Studio will be a part of the SAP Release Train for Eclipse (SRTE). For an excellent explanation of SRTE, please see this article:
When is the automatic installation not available?
- If you have ESP 5.1 SP04 and HANA Studio 1.0.70.
- You also might fall into this category if you don’t have HANA Studio and you just want to install the ESP plugin into your own Eclipse development environment.
How do you install the plugin when automatic installation is not available?
- Ensure you have defined the ESP_HOME environment variable for the environment or command shell used to launch SAP HANA Studio: %ESP_HOME% <ESP install dir>\ESP-5_1
- Create the “esp_feature.jar” file (NOTE: You may need to download a Java SDK to get the “jar” executable if you don’t already have it.):
- cd %ESP_HOME%\studio\esp_feature
- jar cvf esp_feature.jar .\*
- Launch the SAP HANA Studio (or Eclipse), then select Help and then Install New Software to open the Install Dialog.
- From the Install Dialog:
- Click Add.
- From the Add Repository Dialog, click Archive.
- Navigate to the %ESP_HOME%\studio\esp_feature directory and select esp_feature.jar, then click Open.
- From the Add Repository Dialog, click OK.
- In the Install Dialog box, uncheck the checkbox “Group Items by Category”. (The top list of the Install Dialog should now display SAP Sybase Event Stream Processor).
- Select SAP Sybase Event Stream Processor and click Next for installation details.
- For Review Licenses, select I accept the terms of the license agreement and click Finish.
- If a Security Warning Dialog appears, click OK.
- When prompted, click Yes to restart the SAP HANA Studio.
NOTE: The above steps show Windows syntax. For Linux, replace %ESP_HOME% with $ESP_HOME and backslashes with forward slash as appropriate.
You now have access to ESP features in the SAP HANA Studio!
The following configuration settings from the ESP Studio configuration file $ESP_HOME/studio/esp_studio.ini should automatically be copied to the SAP HANA Studio configuration file hdbstudio.ini (installed to the directory you chose when installing SAP HANA Studio).
The settings are listed here in case the automatic installation failed and they need to be copied manually:
-Desp.compilerPath=[ESP-5_1 Path ]/bin/esp_parse.exe