This is an open call for nominations to be HANA Distinguished Engineers. If you caught Vishal’s announcement at the HANA Anniversary Event, or saw our prior blog, then you may know what the HDE Program is about. If not, we created a FAQ for you!
So what makes a HANA Distinguished Engineer?
The first and most important criteria is someone that meets our core values:
- Restless curiosity
- Collaborative and sharing by nature
- Continuously striving for improvement
- Challenges convention and status quo
- Mentors others
The commitment to these core values will be displayed in the actions of a HANA Distinguished Engineer.
What kind of experience does a HANA Distinguished Engineer have?
We’re specifically looking for experienced practitioners with project lifecycle experience, since HANA is no longer true. The requirements aren’t hard and fast, but here is a guideline:
- 12 months of full-time verifiable hands-on experience with SAP HANA in a proof of concept, pilot, implementation project or production support capacity, in either a consulting or customer role, or
- 12 months of full-time verifiable experience providing remote support to SAP HANA customers as part of a paid SAP or partner support organization, or
- 12 months of full-time verifiable experience in a product development role within the SAP HANA development or product management organizations.
What sort of technical expertise should a HANA Distinguished Engineer have?
The HDE program is all about technical excellence and we’re specifically looking for technical experts. Here’s some guidelines for the areas we recruit within, but you are welcome to define your own new category!
- Application Developers
- BI / DM / DW Developers / Modelers
- ETL / Replication Developers / Modelers
- Application / Database Administrators
- HANA XS Developers
- SAP River Developers
- Security Administrators
What sort of content should a HANA Distinguished Engineer create?
We’re looking for social people who create content and mentor others – this is the key set of values for a HDE. So, we are looking for several (a minimum of three), consistent and high quality pieces of technical content, reflecting knowledge and expertise in a technical area of SAP HANA. Again, the rules aren’t hard and fast, but here is a guideline of the types of content we recognize:
- Technical blogs on any publicly accessible blogging platform
- Technical articles, podcasts, webcasts
- Peer to Peer speaking engagements
- Technical instructional or educational videos, seminars or lectures
- Forum moderation
- Code snippets/libraries
- User group activities (SIG, Influences councils, etc.)
Because this is the values of the HDE program, we do expect HDEs to continue to create high quality content. We celebrate the time to move HDEs into the HDE Alumni and we are looking for active participation.
N.B. When considering new members, a good check is to Google “Your Name SAP HANA” and see what comes up. A potential HDE should pass this quick test of having visible, high quality technical content on the web.
Who can be nominated to be a HANA Distinguished Engineer?
We don’t restrict who can be nominated to be a HDE, but we do currently have a number of high quality SAP HDEs, so we’d love more customers and partners, to even it out. We’re also pretty well represented in North America/EMEA so we would love some from other areas of the world. Last but not least, we are very heavily represented by males, so we would love more female nominations. Not asking for much!
How do I nominate someone to be a HANA Distinguished Engineer?
I suppose we should really have a HANA XS app for this, but we are pretty low-tech, so we made a Google Form. You can nominate someone here! Good luck!