Polling flag is an attribute of a process chain.
Purpose: If the chain contains distributed processes (for example, a loading process) you use this indicator to specify whether you want to hold back the starting background process until the actual work process is complete in other internal sessions, or whether you want to release it immediately.
Advantages of using this indicator:
- External scheduling tools that react only to the SAP internal event ‘Batch Process Complete’, are also informed about the status of distributed processes.
- A high level of process security is guaranteed. The starting background process asks about the status of the current processes every two minutes (polling).
Disadvantages of using this indicator:
- Increased demand on resources. Although the CPU is not under pressure during the waiting time, it is during the status checks that run at two minute intervals.
- You require one more background process.
How to set the indicator:
1. Go to Transaction code RSPC
2. Open the process chain where you want to set the indicator
3. Click on “process chain” on left hand side top
4. Move the cursor to “Attributes”
5. Select “Polling flag”
6. In the below pop-up, check the option and enter:
7. Save and activate the process chain