Adding New Key Figure To Planning Book
A planning area as we know is one of the most important areas in Demand Planning. It defines the area where most of the planning activities take place. It groups together both characteristics and key figures under a single domain.
A planning book is constructed on the information or subset of information maintained in planning area. In planning book, we select the characteristics and key-figures which are required by demand planners to complete their tasks. It determines the outline and layout of interactive planning screen/book.
As per different business requirement, many a times we need to add new key-figures to planning book for different purposes.
In order to add a new key figure to the planning book, we need to first assign it to planning area and then assign to required planning book which is based on this planning area.
During creation of planning area, when time series objects are not created for planning area and it is not initialized, we have option to add SAP standard key figures to our planning area by moving as shown below –
But this option is only available to us only when we are creating planning area from scratch or we need to delete the existing time series objects which will de-initialize the planning area.
Note: – Deleting the time series objects will result in loss of data and it is advisable to avoid this and if needed to take backup of the data to avoid data loss.
Other option available to us is to create a new info object (key figure) and then accordingly assign to required planning book.
Below are the steps through which we can accomplish the same:
- Navigate to RSA1 -> Info objects -> Right Click on Info object Catalog- > Create Info object
- Select APO once we get below pop up –
3. Enter the values. Once we try to save the info object it will ask for transport. Once assigned we can see the info object is active (Green)
4. Add the newly created key figure to the planning area. Navigate to transaction: /SAPAPO/MSDP_ADMIN (Advanced Planning and Optimization -> Demand Planning -> Environment). Right click on planning area in which key figure is to be added and click on Change Key Figure Settings
5. Add the newly created key figure and hit execute button. (In the new SAP SCM version, we are not required to de initialize the planning area in order to make changes to key figure)
6. New key figure is now available in the planning area and can be seen in the respective planning area
7. Once key-figure is added to the planning area, we need to assign it to the planning book. Navigate to transaction: /SAPAPO/SDP8B (Advanced Planning and Optimization -> Demand Planning -> Environment -> Current Settings -> Define Planning Book)
8. Give the name of Planning book and Data View and Click on Change Button
9. Inside the planning book, navigate to the Key-Figures Tab
10. Here we can assign the key figure to the planning book from planning area (Moving key figures from right to left)
11. Click on Continue button at the bottom and at the end Click on Complete to generate the new planning book
12. Now in Interactive planning book we can see the newly added key-figure. Navigate to transaction : /SAPAPO/SDP94 (Advanced Planning and Optimization -> Demand Planning -> Planning -> Interactive Demand Planning)
Hiding the Key- Figure in Planning Book
Sometimes we require that particular key-figure should not appear in interactive planning book but may be used internally in some macro calculations. In those cases, we have the option to hide the key-figure from planning book.
- Navigate to Interactive planning book and switch to Design View. Navigate to transaction : /SAPAPO/SDP94 (Advanced Planning and Optimization -> Demand Planning -> Planning -> Interactive Demand Planning)
- Right click on the key-figure to be hidden (selected rows -> Hide). Save the planning book
3. Now the key-figure (Sales Order) will not show in the planning book
4. To unhide the key-figure, open the planning book in design mode, select the complete table ( all the rows & columns), right click -> Manage hidden rows
5. There is another option available to Hide the key-figure from Interactive planning book. In Interactive planning book, select user settings. There is a tab for “Hide Key Figures”. Select the box for Key figure we want to hide. Save and backout.
Key Figures in planning book contains numerical value (quantity or numerical value) and play a key role to store the values for different business purpose. With changing and evolving business needs, addition of new key figures to capture additional information or to be used in macro calculation is quite common. Once key figure addition is successful in planning area and planning book, if we are saving the data of planning area to BW cube we need to make sure that corresponding key figures appear in Data source of Planning area and then map it to BW cube using DTP.