With SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP07, Test Management has got a new meaning ! Test Automation Framework using Component Based Test Automation provide automation in Testing under Test Option 1.
It provides E2E Testing Approach within SAP Solution Manager. This document explains the benefits of using CBTA.
- Check the Compatibility Matrix to install the correct CBTA version depending on your SolMan Version
- Install ST-TST 300 Component considering the Compatibility matrix
- CBTA front-end to be installed on the computer which is required to carry out the Recording
- Technical Users created in the SolMan and Managed system
- Enable Scripting in SolMan and SUT(Managed System)
Components of CBTA:
System Data Container: Contains information regarding the System Under Test (SUT)
Test Script: Recording of the Transaction
Test Data Container: Information about Test Data is mentioned in the TDC
Now you are ready to explore the easy to record Test automation tool !
Following diagram explains the Activity flow in CBTA :
From the Business Process Structure, a Test Configuration is created in the Test Composition Environment (TCE).
Using CBTA, the Test Script is recorded which is stored back in SolMan.
The Test Data is assigned from the Test Data Container.
Final TEst Configuration is stored at the Business Process for the particular Transaction
Advantages of CBTA:
- The biggest advantage of CBTA is easy edit of Test Scripts. The Test scripts are divided into Screen Components and Default Components.
- Multiple SUTs can be tested as the information present in System Data Container
- Test Scripts can be re-used with different Test Data Container
- Check point can be added while the Test recording to include a validation step
- Test Report shows the results with screen shots
The CBTA Test Configuration is linked with the Transaction code in the Business Process Structure maintained in the Project. Thus there is a connection established between the Business Process and Test Scope. Once the Test Scripts are ready in CBTA, Test Plan can be created with the traditional approach of Test Management and we can include the CBTA Test Configuration. Test Execution takes place from SolMan to Managed system and finally the Test results can be evaluated in the Test Evaluation Phase.
CBTA provides the environment to take advantage of Test Automation for SAP GUI and CRM Web UI transactions. This combination of Solution Manager and CBTA is the ultimate solution where SAP Solution Manager can be used for Test Planning, Test Evaluation and Reporting and CBTA is used to create Test Scripts to automate Testing. CBTA provides a value add to Test Management Methodology of SAP Solution Manager.
As CBTA is well integrated with SAP Solution Manager, we can use the CBTA Test scripts to Create TBOMs (Technical Bill of Material) for the Transactions. These TBOMs can be used to carry out the Change impact Analysis for the Business Process.
I would like to say that CBTA has made the life of Test Engineers easy with less effort to setup and having no extra cost incurred to carry out Test Automation.