A very happy new year to all.
On this very first day of new year, I’m thinking of doing something different. I have seen people making resolutions for the new year, further bending them their way and finally getting rid of it 🙂 Yes, it happens. Resolution are somewhat easy to make and but difficult to implement.
So I’m thinking, why don’t we, not just me, make a resolution for this year which is not at all difficult to follow.
“Keep the forum clean and engage properly”
I have worked a bit & tried to understand the intent of such OPs. I think I can conclude some of their kinds in following way,
- New member who has heard about SCN from colleagues that it is just another forum to ask queries and get the result. He doesn’t bother, basically doesn’t even think about going for Rules or missions. He put it straight in the forum and get suggestion. His only intent is to get solution. Once resolved, he’s gone!
- Lazy member who put a query and log in after a fortnight/month when he is reminded of the issue. He then comment on suggested solutions and start testing them. Gone into eternity !!
- Confused member, kinda breed of New & Lazy member but one step ahead. Get to know about SCN, put a query right away in the forum he lands upon, and forget until he is reminded of the issue. He then open his account again but can’t find his post. “No problem, I’ll put it again” and we can see a similar question from the same user at more than one forum. This kind can also be seen putting their functional query in Support and career forums.
- Analytic member, kinda serious ones ! They put a query, most of times even participates regularly ! They follow the suggestions, actively test them and get results. But again, do not follow the rules. Why ? During the suggestion and testing phase, they come across a new functionality or issue and even if they don’t, they get something in their minds. They put it in the same thread and thread becomes an endless loop 😐
- Smart member, though rare but surely there!! Nobody knows why he do log in, not even him. He would be online occasionally & start posting on every query he see, no matter it is open or closed. Going further, he would search the forum, get much older posts and comments on them. This is the reason sometimes we see several older posts flashing into the forum right on the top. I call it SMART member because he knows how to explore forum for various posts and how to comment. But he never cares about exploring SCN.
So basically in all such situations,
- threads would remain open,
- duplicate thread would keep on coming,
- no response from the OP,
- assumed answers we see,
- older posts flashing up
Lets’ make us all a resolution. Resolution to keep it professional, clean and precise. I sometimes even think of a new badge for it 😎 “Resolution badge” which can be earned only after following certain rules and prerequisites. But again, these members won’t care about it and another resolution will go in dark.
In a hope to see SCN members in much improved version, I wish you all success and happiness in this year and all the years to come.
PS: These are my personal thoughts and does not intend to target any member directly 😛