SCN lesser known facts related to SCN engagement
The content of this article is purely based on my thoughts and is an attempt to help those who are new to the community as well as to those who already have been a part of the community for a longer time to engage better. SCN is by far the most comprehensive and active communities I have been a part of , not just well monitored but also gripping in its own way for people who are passionate about SAP .
I have been a member of the community for long and wasn’t active enough so was just ,more interested in finding answers to my questions and not really answering questions or being responsive to those who were asking similar question . This approach of mine changed since last year quarter end when I started monitoring my points and realized it was good fun tracking and managing my score points .So now I started engaging myself by answering to people which also made me study the installation guides and other SDN posts to refer for posting correct solution and provide answers . This was serving 2 folds of answering and helping people and also improving my knowledge base .
Pointers to stay motivated and how you could benefit from the engagement :
– Make it look like a game by setting a target score for yourself every week this would not make it boring but fun and challenging ,
– Help others and it will help yourself as you would have to read the content to able to provide the correct answer thus would improve the knowledge base .
– Try being active in other spaces as well to be able to expand your skillset not just in your own area but in other related areas as well .
– Reach out and post queries to clarify your doubts
– Aim for the coveted titles like ” Member of the Month” etc ..
– Try Reading more this would help you to stay up to date and also rate and assess the documents in your own way helping the community to filter SPAM .
BE CAREFUL on points below:They might not land you into trouble from the point of SCN rules of engagement however can still go against you .
– Always ensure if you paste a code and if you are working for a client it only captures the essence and not the entire code which can well be confidential property . This might not create problem for you in SCN forum but can be a point of escalation at your workplace . I experienced the same and hence would like to make people aware .
– if you paste screenshots always ensure the picture does not contain sensitive information related to
GL / financial accounts,
Email addresses ,
Unless off course you have prior permissions
– Do not share your clients documents or modifications you did with the community till you have a written permission to do so or you are sure it wont have a future impact .
– Make sure you follow this not only in the documents you post but even while answering questions or creating blog posts .
SCN is a community in which the word spreads like fire so even if your intent is correct in sharing your knowledge with the community but if these points above are not taken care of it sometimes might still go against you. I am in no way stopping people from collaborating but want them to be extra careful in understanding the rules in both word and spirit not just from SCN perspective but from a broader view point .
Please feel free to add comments here if you think I have missed something in the document and I will be happy to include the same .
STAY CONNECTED .