Web Templates Migration from 3.5 to 7.0
I am going to share my experiences in migrating Web Templates from 3.5 to 7.0 in this blog. There will be some Tips and Tricks as well as Observations too.
- Anything on lower version will have to be upgraded to latest or at least -1. I mean currently we have BW 7.3/7.4 version. So we should be at least on 7.0 or above.
- If we are still on 3.5, then we will not be able to upgrade to SAP GUI 7.3. 🙁 I am making one thing very clear here. I am talking about just GUI 7.3 upgrade. It’s not about BW 7.3 upgradation ℹ
- SAP GUI 7.3 is compatible only with 7.0 and above 😉
Steps to be carried out for Migration
- Go through all your designs of 3.5 Web templates to observe the usage of 3.X library items. You might have used below 3.X library items. There may be others as well.
- Important SAP Notes to be followed are Notes: 844012 , 832712 and 832713
- We need to migrate all observed 3.X library items with a standard SAP Program : RSZW_ITEM_MIGRATION_3X_TO_70
- Goto SE38 and carefully observe all Selection options( Simulate, Overwrite originals and Role Adjustments etc) in Execute screen. You can take your own call What to choose 😉
- To migrate above 3.X items, you have to choose first selection like below. Choose Multiple selection and paste all items
When you execute with above selection, it will ask you to confirm below entries. Say OK
Migration will be completed and will show us results like below. 🙂
- WAD 7.0 has given us a nice Migration Tool 🙂 which can be found below :–
- Select 3.5 Web Template and continue to migrate. If no errors found 😉 , your web templates will be migrated to 7.0. System will ask us to save in new technical names. One good thing here is, migration process does not over write on 3.5 Web templates. I mean you can still access 3.5 templates by logging through WAD 3.5 🙂
- Most possible errors could be :– 😥
It may throw any 3.X library Items to be migrated through SAP standard FM
If any custom Web Items/Templates of 3.5 also have to be migrated
- The most important thing here is, ℹ
All your 3.5 web templates are in HTML code. When we migrate them to 7.0, it gets converted to XML(XHTML) Code with some extra lines of code.
- We need to select that particular code in XML(XHTML) tab and delete it. Then all your errors will be vanished. 🙂 🙂
- Do not expect 100% exact look and feel 😉 in 7.0 web templates after migration.
- We need to adjust our new web templates till we get similar layouts like 3.5
- In fact, we can show much better and effective layouts with WAD 7.0
- Alignments will be a headache task and we should make them very carefully in all web templates
- You might have used “Text Elements” in 3.5 templates to show Query Description on top of the Report as Header. The same does not look great after migration to 7.0. To make it more brighter and highlighted, we can simply type the Report name in 7.0 Template in Bold and decent font size.
- No custom XHTML codes are required to show buttons like Export to Excel, CSV, Print, PDF etc..They can be easily achieved in 7.0 🙂 by using “Button Group” web items with respective commands
We can achieve all our WAD 3.5 requirements with various workarounds in WAD 7.0. It is very effective as far as Portal or Web Analyzer usage is concerned. Hope my experiences will help you mates.