How to configure SMP 3.0 to use proxy to access external resource
This article explains all the steps needed to configure SAP Mobile Platform 3.0 to use a proxy server to access external resource.
This article will walk you through the steps needed to enable proxy in SAP Mobile Platform 3.0 in order to access an external webservices, oData or any other resources, using system proxy if SAP Mobile Platform 3.0 requires a proxy to access the internet.
- SAP Mobile Platform 3.0 (SMP)
If the SMP 3.0 server is configured in an environment where there is no direct access to the internet and a proxy is required, by default, you need to configure SMP 3.0 manually in order to configure proxy. Consider the following situation:
- The environment is configured to access the internet using a proxy server
- Assume you need to access an oData external service which requires an internet access and in that case, the Use System Proxy is checked as shown below:
- By default, that will not work, you need to reconfigure SMP server to use your proxy
To fix this issue follow the following steps:
- Open the props.ini configuration file located in the following default installation <SMP-HOME-PATH>\MobilePlatform3\Server in a text editor
- Look for the following parameters,
- Add your proxy as shown below and save your file
- So if for example your proxy is called “myProxy” and the port is “8080“, then that would look like this:
- If the secure https proxy is the same server, then the configuration would look like this:
- Once you are done, save your changes
Note, any changes to the props.ini requries either stopping and starting the SMP server via the desktop shortcut, or if it is running as a service, the service should stop and the service configruation needs to be regenerated in order to make SMP 3.0 uses the new proxy configuration, If SMP 3.0 is not running as a service and it is running through the desktop shortcut, manually, then all we need to do is stop the server using the shortcut and restart the server using the shortcut.
Regenerating the SMP Mobile Service
To regenerate the service in order to make SMP use the new configuration from the props.ini file follow the following steps:
- Stop SMP 3.0 service if it is running as a service
- Open a command prompt as an Administrator
- Navigate to the following location <SMP-HOME-PATH>\MobilePlatform3\Server\bin
- Execute this svcutil -uninstall
- Execute this svcutil -generate
- Execute this svcutil -install
- Restart the SMP Mobile Service
- SMP 3.0 should be able to access the external resource using the proxy configuration
If the proxy requires user id and password, please refer to this KBA, 1969316.
This article explained how to enable and configure SMP 3.0 proxy using the props.ini file and how to regenerate the service for SMP 3.0
Under "Regenerating the service", step 6, should read "Execute this svcutil -install".
Yes, I will fix that.
Not able to find the KBA 1969316. Can you post the link again?
In case if the proxy requires NTLM authentication, is this supported?
Check this one:
NTLM is not supported if the proxy requires it.
How to create proxy required in given example?
Would you be able to give me more information regarding your question?