Finally after 4 years, i got to implement the Jive Forums from SAP.
Last time we had shown this software to one of our client but the client was not interested. that time it was Netweaver Portal 7.0
This time we got Lucky 🙂
We implemented the Forums in Netweaver Portal 7.31.
The Deployment was smooth one.
- Identify the SCA
- Configure the Forums Settings, Categories,Permissions etc
- and you are good to go!
Below i am listing some of the challenges i faced (most of them are functional)
- First and Most important: one Convincing the Business that this is a useful software 🙂
- Then comes the second hurdle.the email settings!
Believe me, it takes quite a while to convince the IT guys that the email traffic that will be generated from the forums watches wont hamper the network.So we first selectively enable the smtp access, analyse the traffic and then extend the smtp access period ..
The SAP Presentations are awesome and when we show it to the users they are thrilled by the capabilities.Most users being in Functional area and Non-IT, they find it something different than their day to day jobs and are delighted. but then the good part ends here itself.Once we gave access to them and they started using,then the questions start hitting you. i am just providing a glimpse of some questions here.
- I have occidentally rated a reply as 1 star, now i want to change it to 5 stars.
- I have created a poll, will everyone get email alerts?
- I have created announcement, will everyone get email alerts?
- I want to see how many are on-line with a green dot before their names?
- i want to tag people just like Facebook and then they should get email alert.
- Can i have a mobile App for Forums just like sap forums have one?
- I want to start a forum on the fly inviting people which i want only, just like chat rooms.
- Can i insert inline videos and Images?
Overall it was fun and i am thankful to SAP for making this software available.
we found one bug that if the login id is more than 30 Characters the Users were marked as Guest and not able to access Forums.
with the help of SAP we resolved this with SAP releasing a note. 1965740.
I am sure you must have also faced such questions.
Please list them out here so that we an create a wishlist and sand to SAP 🙂