The new wave of trend being observed in IT is Social Technology. McKinney Global institute define Social technologies as “the product and services that enables social interaction in digital realms and thus allow people to interact virtually”.
How Social technology can create a value to the enterprise?
- Co-Innovation: In current business environment where product lifecycle is short and time to market is important, organizations require being more close to its customer and suppliers. Further to innovate organization requires involving customers, suppliers and employees in product development. One of the best examples of co-innovation is SAP itself. Social technologies help co-innovation more effectively by allowing customer and suppliers to interact each other virtually and share information more effectively.
- Decision making is emerging as participative rather than authoritative: Modern management philosophies entails participative decision making which involves peoples from many departments participates in decision making process of the organization. As the organization goes global it is become difficult for these peoples to participate so they use social technologies to participate and collaborate.
- Changing Culture: The next generations who are already equipped with these technologies in their normal life are more comfortable and efficient with these technologies on their work.
What traditional Enterprise systems lacks?
- Lack of Integration: Traditional enterprise systems were designed to integrate across all the departments and provide real time information to the enterprise of its operations. However many information which is generated by social interactions between the people within and outside though unstructured but valuables goes out of purview of this systems because they do not integrate or provide this functionality in it. For e.g. Conversations can be initiated on system objects (sales orders, work orders, projects etc.)
- Lack of tools to turn social conversation to the one which is meaningful to the enterprise: For e.g. analyzing Customers likes and dislikes from social media like Facebook and Twitter., Collect data from brainstorms interactions between different executives into an useful idea that can effectively implemented to generate value.
What SAP does on this area?
Understanding importance of the social technologies, SAP announced its product called SAP Jam by which SAP will try to fill the above gap. This solution allows unstructured collaboration capabilities (like real time conversation with members, writing blog or wikis, recommend contents etc) as well as structural collaborations like dynamic agendas, pros/cons table for decision making etc. Moreover it integrates with outside applications like Twiter, Youtube, Slide share,Microsoft Share point etc. and also integrate with internal cloud applications like CRM, Success Factor learning, Onboarding, and Business Execution (BixX) Suite; the SAP Business Suite (ERP, CRM, SRM, SCM,and PLM) SAP Business Suite etc.
To know more about SAP Jam visit following link
Use Case of SAP Jam in Mining Industry and Mills Products:
- Collaborative Project Management for Mining Industry: In Mining Industry people have to work together on varieties of project like Exploration project or Infrastructure development project which requires professionals from different fields like Geologists, Metellurgists, Human Resources,Finance professional etc. until these peoples work in tandem the project cannot be successful. SAP Jam integrated with Project System brings these people together.
- Co-Innovation with customer and supplier for Mill Products: In mill product industries time to market is important. so when the company is want to develop any product it can collaborate with its customer and supplier in product development which ensure marketability of the newly devlop product and its market potential. further it also help customer and supplier in configuring their own products.
- Efficient Sales Mangement in Mill Products as most of the products are attributes based which require some technical knowledge like metellurgy in steel industry or metal industry.
- Collaborative Sales and Operation planning and supply chain management.
Hope it will be helpful