SAP BW Testing Episode 3 – System Integration Testing
1 System Integration testing:
System integration testing (SIT) is a testing process that exercises a software system’s coexistence with others. With multiple integrated systems, assuming that each have already passed system testing, SIT proceeds to test their required interactions. Following this, the deliverables are passed on to acceptance testing ( Refrence : wikipedia)
1.1. Relation with SAP BW
In SAP BW generally we have multiple levels for data transfer. For example ECC to W/O DSO, W/O DSO to DSO, and then DSO to InfoCubes. This also includes Integration of SAP BW with any other application to fetch source data. As we need to test the interaction between these levels or applications. Data is a medium for their interaction. So, we need to test, data very carefully. We need to concentrate on reconciliations between level in SAP BW, between applications and SAP BW i.e. Data Quality and Integrity in BW system should be tested.
SIT is done to check the integration of various BW objects with each other. This can be checked via flow of our data from within the structures properly. If we get accurate results of reconciliations, we can come to a conclusion that integration of various BW objects is done successfully.
For instance we can consider Project XXXX example as mentioned in previous episodes (SAP BW Testing Episode 1 – Introduction) :
Below are the steps we follow for Reconciliations between BFC – BW Standard cube with an example for XXXX Cube:
- Finalize the selections for BFC. Eg:
- Version – XXX0000
- Category – A
- Scope – XYZ
- Period – 2010.12
- Currency – GBP
- Reporting Unit – 12345678
- Ask BFC team to follow the following steps and send us the file(attached is the sample file for the same):
- TB Period Selection 2010.12
- Select RUs – 12345678 along with the remaining selection
- Export it to CSV file
- Share this with BW team
- We ask BFC team to not run any consolidation before we perform EA deployment for this consolation.
- Check whether there is no data in Statutory Deployed cube (BW system) as, if we run deployment with data in deployed cube it may cause issues.
- We perform XXXX EA deployment with the help of Reprocess option by selecting specific consolidation.
- Execute XXXX Specific BW Reporting layer process chain.
- Post its completion we locate the XXXX cube (Info cube ZXXXXX)
- Update the selections as mentioned in the below screenshot for specific accounts under the specific RU Eg: RU: 12345678
9. Highlight the Required BFC selection for which we want to check data. Eg:
10. Execute and cross check the data with same filter adjustment in BW once the selections are set. Eg:
Another wonderfull approach is used for reconsilations. This is mentioned in details by Abhilash Raut in his blog (CASE STUDY – SAP BW/BI Testing ). I have used his work for refrence.
To be continued … Regression testing