Success of any test exercise highly depends on how well the program is exercised by a test suite.
Message class testing is one such methodology to ensure higher code coverage during any test activity.
There are number of ways to identify the associated messages in the test object. However finding the right message class/messages for test object was quite cumbersome and time consuming with traditional approach(every user has different like few use SE80 )
To address this challenge, we have identified an approach which is easy to use & yet effective to analyze message class & messages associated to a program or transaction. This enables Quality engineers to select critical messages as appropriate to test or build scenarios around those messages.
Below are the key steps of this approach:
- Run transaction ‘SE93’ & enter the Transaction code “ABC” for which you want to find the messages used:
- Click on ‘Display’.
- The details for transaction code “ABC” will be displayed:
- To navigate to program level, double-click on the associated ‘Program’.
- After navigating to program, choose Menu path -> ‘Goto’ -> ‘Messages’:
- ‘Message Maintenance : Display message’ screen will be displayed with a list of messages under Message class –
- Choose a Message & click on ‘Where-Used List’ button to see the usage of message in the selected program:
- Exact location where message have been called will be displayed & highlighted:
- Based on above information with functional expertise, scenarios can be tested & built around these messages.
- For Enjoy transactions, the above approach does not give direct results. In that case use the old transaction. Example: Instead of ME21N use ME21 to find the right message class. Similarly for ME51N, use ME51.
This approach fetches the right messages effectively in SE93 transaction rather than wasting too much time in identifying the messages using various transactions.we have used this approach in the Industry area to have a greater coverage during manual testing
Now we can extend our test cases to test all important messages related to small functionality also.In Normal cases we don’t test such messages.
In message 509 try passing different vendor at header level & Item scheduling agreement.
run the PO determination, this error pop up will trigger.