Your Opinion On the Local Tab Order Feature
We, the SAP GUI team, would like to find out your opinion concerning the new Local Tab Order feature in SAP GUI:
- For those who know the feature already, please, have a look at the corresponding poll.
- For those who do not know the feature yet, but are interested to try it out, here a short introduction:
SAP screens often contain a variety of fields and other screen elements that are not necessary to fulfill a specific task. To make life easier for you, you can change the TAB sequence on SAP screens so that you do not have to ‘tab’ your way through the whole screen. The new TAB order functionality allows you to jump from one screen element to the next, thus creating a tab chain containing only fields of interest.
To use Local Tab Chain proceed as follows:
On either a dynpro field, a radio button or a checkbox, use CTRL+RIGHT CLICK to invoke the extended context menu.
In the extended menu, you find the following options:
- Via “LOCAL TAB ORDER: From Field” you define a start field for a local tab order “jump”. After that select “LOCAL TAB ORDER: To Field” to define an end field for a local tab order “jump”.
- Via “LOCAL TAB ORDER: Entry Point” and “LOCAL TAB ORDER: Exit Point” you can define entry and exit points for the dynpro area.
- Using “Configure Local Tab Chain”, you can invoke a configuration dialog that shows your tab order definitions.
- To visualize the complete tab chain on the screen (a mix of the original tab chain and your local changes) use “Visualize Local Tab Chain”.
After trying this out, please, let us know more about your opinion in the corresponding poll.
Hi Melanie Reinwarth
This sounds like an interesting feature, I am a big fan of anything that can make the user's life a bit easier and more enjoyable in the SAPGUI. What I don't quite understand is this... Is this an end user task or an administrator task? Does it apply to a single user or all users in the system?
I honestly can't see end users doing this - or even knowing it exists, since it is hidden by the CTRL+RIGHT-CLICK (very non-discoverable)
Just wanted to give that feedback, Thanks,
thanks for the feedback. Concerning your questions:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP\SAPGUI Front\SAP Frontend Server\LocalData]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP\SAPGUI Front\SAP Frontend Server\LocalData] on 64bit operating systems
“DisableLocalTabChain” (=1 means local tab order disabled)
“LocalTabOrderReadOnly” (=1 means local tab order read-only)
Is it just me, or does this seem way too complicated. Why not just allow the coding of tab order in the dialog screen element list?
Melanie, but saying that it is meant to be an administrator task, and the fact that we can set in the registry to make the LocalTabOrderReadOnly, does that mean we can have an administrator set the local tab order, and then roll that out to all user's machines and have the provided tab order be set for them, but unchangeable by them?
Yes, this is how it works.
What might the problem be if a user does not get the menu upon CTRL + R-CLICK???
In general this is very usefull for us.
But we are facing some problems when it comes to VA01 / table control.
It seems that the tab has some effet but does not work like expected.
VA01 start screen is working fine.
Is there a limitation? Any ideas suggestions appreciated.
to be able to see what exactly the problem is, it would be best if you open a ticket under component BC-FES-GUI.
I did (260998/2016) but the response is not helping us at all.
So for now I would consider this function as useless when it comes to tables.
Just a short update: The issue mentioned above will be fixed with next SAP GUI Patch (see note 2318974 for details).