I would like to share my views and the things i learnt as a beginner in ABAP to all .I hope this may help some people in learning ABAP from scratch .
1) It will be very useful if you know any of the basic programming languages vsuch as C,C++ .Because you will come across lot of syntax and logic which we use in those languages here .
2) A Basic knowledge in Open Sql will help you lot during the beginning sessions
3) Even though its related to the programming some terms will be new to us so learning about ERP ,flow of business process and a overview of SAP will help us understand some frequently used terms.
4) SAP provides u a lot of tips and information while you code so just go to T-code ABAPDOCU and you can find all the keywords explanation syntax and examples .
5)Learn the short cut keys ,basic T-codes and the navigation used while coding .This will decrease a lot of time and also makes life easier .
6) SAP has inbuilt functions ,classes ,methods etc so maximum try to search the functions which are already present in SAP and use it instead of coding it again.
7)Follow a coding standard which will be easy for other people seeing our program .Maximum try to keep your main program less than 50 lines .Use includes for achieving it .For example
Include Zprogram_name_TOP – for declaring structure , internal table ,work area etc .
Include Zprogram_name_screen – For selection screen statements .
Include Z_program_name_class or form – for class statements in case of OO-ABAP or forms in case of Procedural ABAP .
and also use comments ,logs of modification and creation .Each organisation will follow a particular coding standard ,try to get that from the trainer and start practicing from the beginning .
8)Use Code inspector and Enhanced code check for improving the quality and the performance of the program .
I think these are some points which i learnt in the initial stage of my training and i am sharing it to you all .I think this will be useful for a beginner in abap .All the best for all of you ,I wish you all a very good future in ABAP .Thanks a lot for reading my blog post .