Why selection via HCM Object Selection is efficient in comparison to regular selection?
- Selection made via a HCM Object Selection is similar to that off saving values as a variant. A HCM Object Selection once created can be used across multiple HCM packages (PA and PA-PD) any number of times.
- Selection can be tailored in a more enhanced fashion when compared to regular selection, where the user is provided with options to select only the necessary object types and the corresponding Object IDs or even restrict the transfer of data for a particular object type to only a set of infotypes to mention a few of its functionalities. (Further explanation provided in the steps that follow).
- Once a Selection is made via a HCM Object Selection, the user has the option to view as to what exactly is transferred by previewing the selection in a tree form of display where the hierarchy of selection (various Object Types and the content related to them that are meant to be transferred) is displayed.
- The HCM Object Selection UI allows downloading and uploading selection criteria. Thus, it is easy to create new selection IDs from existing selection IDs even across systems.
Steps to create a HCM Object Selection ID
- The HCM Object Selection can either be created by executing the activity Configuration and Utilities in the sender system under the phase Configuration and Selection and then executing the activity Assign Objects to Selection ID (as shown in the below figure) or by executing the transaction CNV_TDMS_HCM_PRESEL in the sender system.
The figure below shows the initial screen for creation of HCM Object Selection.Hit the create button as highlighted and enter a desired name and description.
- The selection ID now needs to be assigned with steps where the selection criteria can be assigned. Steps can be assigned by licking on the add button as highlighted in the figure below.
- To add the selection criteria, double click on the newly created step. A new window appears where the selection has to be entered. The below set of steps provide information as to how a basic selection criteria can be created.
- Plan Version: The desired plan version is set.
- Object Type: To set the object types and object IDs, click on the arrow that is in green in the below figure and enter the desired criteria. Multiple object IDs can be maintained for a single object type and in case new object types are to be maintained then provide the same through the next object type field in the initial selection criteria window.
- Other HCM Object Selections: This would enable selection of previously created selection IDs and hence integrating the selection from the included selection ID and the current selection ID.
NOTE: A new step needs to be created when an entry needs to be maintained for this field as the user is allowed to make entries in either the Specify HCM Objects section or the Other HCM Object Selections but not both.
- Evaluation paths: The hierarchy of object types that need to be considered for selection are included via Evaluation paths.
- Relationship IDs: This field would include object types based on their relationships.
- Start Date: The date from which an object type needs to be considered for selection must be defined here. A blank entry would mean selection of all Object types defined in the Object type field or the evaluation path.
- Restrict Selection: Exclusion of transfer of data to certain infotypes and their fields in them based on their object types can be maintained here. For instance, if an object type should have some restrictions, click on the arrow by the field Object type under Restrict the Selection. Now, select the object type for which restrictions need to be maintained and specify the infotype(s) for which restrictions need to be maintained. Once this is done, click Field Selection and select fields that should have restrictions and click copy selected items which would bring up the fields on the right side and restrictions for the selected fields need to be maintained here.Below figure depicts an example as to how this can be achieved.
- Exclude HCM Objects: Object types that need not be transferred can be excluded by specifying them here.
- Once the selection criteria for HCM Object Selection has been defined, execute the step criteria.
- Save the selection and click the execute push button to execute the selection as shown in the below figure.
- The selection summary will display the results of the current selection criteria as shown in the below figure. Any additional information regarding the HCM Object Selection can be viewed in the help documentation by clicking the button as highlighted below.
- Choose the Display Result as tree push button in the result summary to view the selection data. The selection will be displayed as in the figure below.
NOTE: The tree display is not visible in SPs prior to SP06.
- Addition of Multiple Steps: Multiple steps can be added to the existing HCM Object Selection to further enhance the selection criteria. For example, if data from an already existing Selection ID needs to be considered in this selection ID, a new step needs to be added which can be done in a similar way as mentioned in step 2 and once the step is created, follow instructions in step 3 to add an existing Selection ID. As explained previously, user is allowed to make entries in either the Specify HCM Objects section or the Other HCM Object Selections but not both.
- The HCM Object Selection UI allows downloading and uploading selection criteria.
The HCM object Selection ID once created in a system can be reused by downloading it from the system in which it exists and then uploading it into
the desired target system.
- The selection ID can be entered in a package in the activity Identify Objects for Transfer and Start Data Selection. A selection ID can be used across HCM PA and HCM PA-PD packages but not the PA-PD Expert package as selection happens for a complete plan version.
NOTE: The Selection ID appears in the form of a GUID in the UI, in all the SPs prior to SP06.