HANA Migration – Checkpoints
This document provides a checklist when a HANA Migration is planned. There are broadly classified into 3 sections, viz., Application Checks, DB Checks and Admin Checks before the migration can be carried out.
1. Pre-Migration checks and Corrective Actions would mean a smoother migration and less burden on the system during the actual migration.
2. Avoid any rework that may arise resulting in unnecessary waste of time and $$.
Application Checks and Actions
1. PSA Clean up – Complete clean up of Persistent Staging Area has to be done, provided the data is already posted into the relevant DSO’s / Cube’s in the Data Flow
2. Archiving / NLS – Plan for Archiving / NLS for data that is unused or rarely used. Reporting is still possible on Archived data after Migration
3. Data Deletion – Delete data from first level DSO’s(mostly Write Optimized) as this data would be available in the subsequent layers within a Data Flow. Master Data also should be deleted as necessary
4. Deletion of Logs – Delete all system Logs and DTP / Process Chain Logs
5. BW Objects deletion – Transformations, Sundry Process Chains, BEx Queries and Workbooks to be checked for usage and deleted as necessary
DB Checks and Actions
1. Compression of Data – Compress the data in the InfoCubes which will reduce the size of the relevant tables
2. Deletion of Tables – Delete the Aggregate tables as these are not required anymore
Admin Checks and Actions
1. Users and Roles – Check and delete Users and Roles which are of no significance
2. Admin Tables – Basis Check tables used for Admin purposes will have to be analyzed and deleted