Resume/Recover of Automated Activities in BPM
During process modeling we create automated activity and assign a service interface to it.When the process is executed at runtime, the respective Web service is called and the automated activity is executed.Automated activities can fail for several reasons:Configuration Error,Web service provider is down,Network error etc.If an automated activity failed, we can handle the error in the following way:
- Rectify the configuration.
- Resume or Recover the process.
There is a slight difference between Resume & Recover.Though both are used to restart suspended BPM process but in case of Recover some manual tasks are needed to perform where Resume is fully automatic.
To understand the steps of Resume & Recover we can take following example.
We created one simple BPM process contains three tasks “Select Material”, “Send Email”& “Display Material”.Where “Select Material” & “Display Material” tasks are of type Human Activity & “Send Email” is of type Automated Activity.
Using Suspend-Resume Option:-
1.Log on to the SAP Netweaver Administrator application.Choose -> Operations -> Processes and Tasks ->Manage Process->Error And Failed Processes.XXX Process has failed.
2. In Process Flow We see the exact error is coming from webservice execution for the Automated Activity “Send Email”
3.in Process Manage Process we select Actions->Suspend to suspend the process and to work on the error.
4.After fixing the error we select Resume to complete the Suspended BPM Process.
5. The BPM Process XXX restarted successfully & received Automatic Email by executing the webservice of “Send Email” Automated Activity.
Using Suspend-Recovery Option:-
1.Log on to the SAP Netweaver Administrator application.Choose -> Operations -> Processes and Tasks ->Manage Processes->Error And Failed Processes.XXX Process has failed.
2. In Process Manage Process we can select Actions->Suspend to suspend the process and to work on the error.
3. After fixing the error we can select Recover to complete the Suspended BPM Process.
4. After Recover the suspended BPM Process,the Automated Activity (“Send Email”)is active and ready to execute.
5 .We have to execute the Web Service manually providing valid input for the Automated activity (“Send Email”) from Web Service navigator.
6.We can able to process further tasks automatically like the next task is coming in Ready Status.
Thanks & Regards,