In April 2012, SAP released a Statement of Direction for Dashboarding. (You can still access the original webinar and the blog post with attached official document and webinar slides.) To answer your questions there was a follow-up blog by Adam Binnie and a video.
Now that we’ve had some time to execute on our vision, we want to offer you an update on what we’ve accomplished and where we’re going. We hope that you’ll continue to engage with us, ask questions, give feedback, and help us ensure that we’re rowing in the right direction.
In our statement of direction, we outlined three phases. Here is an update of our progress for each phase.
- Release the most commonly used mobile components for SAP BusinessObjects Dashboards
- Delivered at the end of 2012 with the SAP BusinessObjects Dashboards 4.0, SP5
- Release the first version of “Project Zen,” now named SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio
- Accomplished at SAPPHIRE Madrid 2012
- Allow delivery to mobile devices
- Both now use SAP BusinessObjects Mobile for a unified mobile experience
- Develop a fuller set of mobile components for SAP BusinessObjects Dashboards
- Delivered a couple additional components with version 4.1, and we’ve also been listening to early feedback on the mobile release
- Other items, like adding the query as a web service connection method for mobile dashboards, the software development kit for the large ecosystem to mobilize its add-ons, and offline support, all took the highest priority and are all part of the 4.1 release
- For more details on SAP BusinessObjects Dashboards 4.1 and the roadmap, check out this blog
We expect that SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio versions 1.2, 1.3, and (potentially) 1.4 will all cover what we spoke about as Phase Two in the original statement of direction. Two of the main priorities are to provide an extensible framework and to expand the visualizations.
- Add support (software development kit) for third-party components so that the large ecosystem that uses SAP BusinessObjects Dashboards can begin to build around SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio
- Expand the visualizations
- Unify the data access technologies, allowing SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio run time to access all types of data and converge the two design environments into one.
- One of the first pieces of groundwork for unification was added on November 19th, ahead of schedule, with the release of SAP BusinessObjects Design Studio version 1.2, which includes UNX support for our agnostic customers.
We’ve been listening to our customers’ early feedback and focusing on how best to deliver innovations on a robust solution for dashboards while minimizing customer disruption and protecting investments in SAP BusinessObjects Dashboards.
Please continue to let us know how we’re doing by joining the conversation around our dashboarding strategy – either by joining one of our customer groups, Idea Place, or by responding to this blog. You can follow me on twitter at @AnitaGibbings