Job Candidates, Have You Found Your (Employment) Match?
Choosing the right company to work for is just as important as for “The Bachelor” to choosing a life partner. And it can be as difficult as what we see on the popular show – when one supposedly well-deserving man has to pick from a field of 25 beautiful women who are showing their best sides and pulling some deceptive stunts to get his attention.
In my last blog, I discussed how employers can better market their job openings and build a pool of talent that they can reference later, when the need arrives.
But how do you get past the businesses that are not authentic and showing their true selves? How do you get past the deceit, lies, and tempting lures? And better yet, how do you know you are committing your time, talent, and career to the right company?
Find your match with these 7 short questions
Do yourself a favor and evaluate your next potential employer by asking yourself (or even the hiring manager) these questions:
- Can I find you in places where I like to be? Even if it’s not very crowded, noisy, or trendy?
- If I want to know more about you, is your website authentic? Can I see the difference between you and your top competitor?
- Is your career site all about you or about me? Do you bother to find out about what I like and don’t like? Are your job pages tailored to me and my preferences?
- If I find your job, is the application process less than three clicks?
- If I’m just not that into you (yet), are there other actions I can take to get to know you better?
- If I do apply, will you stay in contact with me without appearing as an inappropriate stalker?
- If I share my friends with you, will you treat them with respect and reward me for sharing how wonderful they are with you?
Trust me, this is worth your time. The answers may surprise you, but at least you will be on your way in finding you “dream date” – or better yet, your lifelong partner.
Best wishes for a life full of (job) happiness and (career) fulfillment!