Before I start with the steps let me tell you about the environment where I have done the SWD patching.
This is installed on a standalone Windows (Win08 R2 64-bit) system.
Current Version 701 Patch number 31
Idea for patching web dispatcher is very simple as follows:
- Download the latest patch from SMP
- Stop all the web dispatcher instances and backup the executable from the directory <Drive_Letter>:\usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\nuc\NTAMD64
- Extract the SAR file into any temp directory
- Copy the files from sapwebdisp_< PL >-<…>.SAR into the directory <Drive_Letter>:\usr\sap\<SID>\SYS\exe\nuc\NTAMD64) and start the web dispathcer instances.
- Check your sap web dispatcher version :
Congratulations!! Your sap web dispatcher is patched from 701 to the latest 720.
Some pitfalls that might come up :
While extracting the SAR files into the current executable directory E:\usr\sap\W20\SYS\exe\nuc\NTAMD64, you may error saying some file or folder is open and will not allow you to copy, reason is not all services are properly shut down when we stopped the isntances with MMC See below:
The workaround is to extract the file to some temp directory and drop the extracted files to the destination folder ,E:\usr\sap\W20\SYS\exe\nuc\NTAMD64
I still got the windows pop up that some files are in use by another program , I have to rename the files like “dghelp.dll.old” and then proceed with copying after doing the same for other files which were still being used. I finally managed to copy the whole executable files to the destination folder.
Recommended SAP Notes : 908097
This is my first blog, hope some may find it useful 🙂