In the upcoming weeks we will be posting new videos to the SAP HANA Academy to show new features and functionality introduced with SAP HANA Support Package Stack (SPS) 7, released December 3, 2013. To get the best overview of what’s new in SAP HANA SPS 7, see Ingo Brenckmann’s blog on the SAP HANA community site.
Other blogs on the What’s New topic
- What’s new in SAP HANA SPS 7 – Installation and Update
- What’s new in SAP HANA SPS 7 – Authentication
- What’s new in SAP HANA SPS 7: Monitoring – by the SAP HANA Academy
The topic of this post is SHINE, SAP HANA Interactive Education, and complements the getting started tutorial video posted to the SAP HANA Academy.
SHINE was introduced with SPS 6 (June 2013) and has been considerably enhanced with SPS 7.
For the latest information, see SAP Note 1934114 – SAP HANA DEMO MODEL – SHINE Release and Information Note
SAP HANA Interactive Education
SHINE is a demo application to help you learn how to build native SAP HANA applications. It is provided as a delivery unit (DU) and can be downloaded from the Software Download Center (search for component SAP HANA DEMO MODEL 1.0).
The documentation has been considerably enhanced – a mere leaflet with SPS 6 – to a full guide [PDF guide on help.sap.com].
The demo uses the Enterprise Procurement Model (EPM) and includes three applications, all hosted by SAP HANA XS, the build-in (eXtended Services) application server: Purchase Order and Sales Order Dashboard, and a Admin Console, where you can reset master and transaction data, or generate more purchase orders.
What’s New with SPS 7?
All tables and structures are now created via Core Data Services (CDS). CDS enables the creation of several tables within a single hdbdd design time artefact. For more information about CDS, see this Academy video by Thomas Jung.
- New views that demonstrate various techniques
- Analytic Privileges for Purchase Order and for Sales Order
- New services for demonstrations of
- outbound HTTP connectivity from XSJS: Search in Purchase Order Worklist
- CRUD from XSODATA: User create and SO create.
- New Stored Procedures
- SQL statements for examples of using Triggers, Scalar UDFs, and Table UDF’s.
This presentation by SAP HANA Product Management (Prasad Illapani and Thomas Jung) and published to saphana.com addresses what’s new with SHINE in SPS 7 in detail.
What’s on the Academy video?
On the Academy video, we show you how to get started with SHINE: how to import the delivery unit, create the users and assign roles, generate time dimension data, etc.