This document has been created for the benefit of entry level SD / CS consultants with a detailed step-by-step elucidation being provided on how the Repair orders are created in SAP.
In manufacturing industries like Rail Car Manufacturing, the cars delivered to customers might require regular service/repair during their life cycle. In such a case, the customer would return the product / material to the vendor’s workshop for repair or service. Depending on the quantum of the issue and also product’s warranty, a repair or a replacement could be done to the customer. The process of repair orders on SAP shall be explained in this document.
As the starting step, customer notifies the vendor about the repairs/faults through calls or e-mails. The factory then takes his notice into consideration and creates a service notification.
The transaction code to create a Service notification is IW51 (for Change and Display of Service Notification — IW52 / IW53).While creating a Repair Service Notification, notification type pertaining to repairs has to be used. Subsequently, while creating service notification, Sold to party, Material, Work Centre, Sales area, WBS element, items to be repaired etc. are some of the important data to be filled before saving the notification.
After the creation of the Service notification, the next step is to create the Repair Sales order using the Action Box seen on the Service Notification. The line items on the Repair sales order should be entered with a Serviceable material and depending on the order type used, a suitable Service product as well. The Repair material used on the sales order should denote what actions should be performed (return, repair, outbound delivery, and credit / debit memo) and this is achieved through the Repair tab you would see at the item level of the Repair material.
After the necessary actions on the Repair material are checked, the next step would be to create the Service Maintenance order from the repair Sales order. The data in the Service order would be copied from the preceding documents automatically. Also, in the Service order, we have a tab titled “Operations” which is used to capture the work hours for each of the operations performed. The settlement rule and the time confirmation for each of the operations available should be carried out using the transaction IW41.
The subsequent action is to create a returns delivery and post goods receipt for the repair order so that goods would be received at vendor’s warehouse / factory and necessary modifications could be made as per standards.
After the service/repair of the returned product, an outbound delivery needs to be created to return the repaired / replaced good back to the customer. Also, after the post goods issue on this outbound delivery is done, we may create a billing document (credit memo/debit memo) depending on the scenario. There could be scenarios where no billing document needs to be generated if the product that needs service/repair is under the warranty period.
Step by Step representation of the process
1. 1. The notification type used for Repairs in our test case is a customized one. In the change mode of Service Notification (IW52), we observe the Create Repair order in the Action Box (highlighted area) which can be used to create a repair sales order.
2. On the repair sales order, the actions to be performed (returns / repair / outbound delivery / credit / debit memo) on the repair material can be chosen depending on the business scenario
(See screenshot below)
Repair Sales Order
3. Once the repair sales order is complete, click on the SM Order tab and subsequently the relevant repair service order would be created. This repair service order created would have the reference as the repair sales order
Repair Service Order
4. The operations tab available on the Service order shall be used to capture the actual work hours required for a particular operation involved in the repair process. Transaction IW41 is used for time confirming the captured work hours involved in the operation.
5. The subsequent steps include creation of returns delivery with respect to the return sales order followed by creation of outbound delivery to return the repaired good to the customer.
The document flow for the above said process is depicted below for reference: