Backup and restore of HANA AWS server
recently I need to do a restore of our HANA server at AWS, so I thought my experience might be helpful for you.
BUT: I’M NOT AN AWS GURU, SO THIS PROCEDURE COMES WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
A. Server backup
1. Shutdown the ECS instance.
2. Create snapshots of all volumes:
Note: I suggest a meaningful name, also please note the linux device (e.g. /dev/sdb3) in the comment of each snapshot.
B. Server restore
1. Shutdown ECS instance.
2. Unattach the first volume.
3. Create new volume from your snapshot (which corresponds to the unattached volume of step 2):
4. Attach the new volume to the server, use correct linux device:
5. Go back to step 2 and repeat with the next volume (until all volumes are replaced from snapshots).
6. Start the server.
Hopefully everything is fine now!
Delete the old, unattached volumes.
i'm planning on testing your approach when and if AWS goes up to v68+ (70?). i have missed 60 to 68 upgrade due to other AWS "features", but thanks for your write-up
please share your test results!