Big Data webinar series a theme that resonated in 2013
With more and more people spending much of their existence in the digital world – whether it’s for work, play, learning, or to socialize– the amount of data being generated passively is growing exponentially. We have seen the volume of data that organizations have to manage and process grow from gigabytes(GB), to Terabytes (1000 GB) and even Petabytes (1 million GB). In 2012 alone, industry analyst IDC estimates that the amount of information created and replicated exceeded 2.8 zettabytes (ZBs), or trillions of gigabytes. Organizations certainly have no lack of data today – what they lack is how to make the data useful i.e. harness the deluge of data to drive economic value while it still matters. And the real bottleneck is not technology but the availability of practitioners that can envision the possibilities and use the available technologies appropriately.
Have you been following the growing momentum of Big Data conversations on-line and at events? Do you consider it just another marketing buzzword and a passing phenomenon?
I love Tammy Powlas comment in her blog
“Quite honestly I had been treating the topic as all “hype” but thanks to participating in a Google Hangout with SAP’s Steve Lucas and Timo Elliott the other week I’ve started paying attention to the topic”
Has this sparked your interest in finding out more about Big Data? Then I am sure that the Big Data webinars being conducted by SAP and its eco-system is exactly what you are looking for.
1. Check out the Big Data webinar series that I conceived and executed together with Daniel von Dungen from SAP University Alliances. We hosted over 16 webinars in which SAP employees and SAP Mentors shared their expertise and insights on a wide range of topics that such as:
- Big Data concepts and opportunities : What is Big Data, How to avoid the Big Data chaos, Big Data Apps for Retail, BI in a Big Data world, Big Data maturity model
- Practical hands-on technology sessions: Movie sentiment analysis, Gaming App on HANA, Visualizing Big and small data, Set-up and use of Smart Data Access in SP6 of SAP HANA
- How SAP technologies and Hadoop that can be used to address Big Data requirements such as Text,Geospatial, data visualization and Streaming
2. Secondly, Program Management & Maintenance Strategies SIG at ASUG presented ASUG’s 5 part webinar series on Big Data . The series started by explaining the basics of big data and the business benefits of Big Data and ended with providing fairly technical details on how to use SAP big data technologies. The series provides ASUG members the knowledge to identify the opportunity big data offers and the knowledge to start projects for implementing solutions using SAP big data technologies with Hadoop and SAP HANA. Listen to David Burdett, Strategic Technology Advisor, SAP, and John Choate, National Chair, PMMS SIG ASUG, introduce their new webinar series :
3. Thirdly, Big Data is important but you cannot take advantage of it without the right data management platform – one that helps you find relevancies within your data and incorporate them into business processes. Implementing Data Management Strategies for a Big Data-enabled EDW is a 3 part webcast series developed by Courtney Driscoll. The series provides valuable insights to help you turn your Big Data into a key enterprise asset.
To make it easy for you to find the webinars – both upcoming and on-demand recordings then be sure to check out the document that I maintain on Big Data webinar series . I hope you find these webinars useful.
Additionally be sure to read the thought leadership articles on the big data website to discover how harnessing the value of Big Data can help your organization compete more effectively.