SAP BI 4.1 is unusable after what seems to be a successful installation on Windows Server 2012.
The installer is seen to complete successfully but you experience the following problems:
- Cannot open the Central Configuration Manager (CCM)
- Cannot logon to the BI Launch pad
- You can logon to the Central Management Console (CMC) but most of the servers have errors
The following error message can be seen in the Event Viewer under Application Logs:
Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture=”amd64″,publicKeyToken=”1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”,type=”win32″,version=”8.0.50727.762″ could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Suite 4.1 SP01
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Suite 4.1 SP02
- Windows Server 2012
Reproducing the Issue
- Install Windows Server 2012 with default options
- Install SAP BI 4.1 pre-requisites (help.sap.com)
- Install SAP BI 4.1 with default options
Note: Although this issue happened to me 3 times on different client site, I have had instances where everything worked just fine for some reasons.
The wrong version of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package has been installed.
During the installation of SAP BI 4.1, different versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package will be installed if they do not already exist on the server.
I have experienced that if you already have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package installed with any other version than 8.0.61001 then you will experience the problems described above.
This is what it should look like in the Control Panel after a successful installation:
Before installing SAP BI 4.1, ensure you have the correct versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package installed.
You can manually install the correct versions from the location where you have extracted the installation files:
Note: Once you have the symptoms, resolving the version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package will not make SAP BI 4.1 work successfully. You will need to:
- Uninstall SAP BI 4.1
- Uninstall any Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package from the Control Panel
- Install the correct version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package
- Install SAP BI 4.1
I hope it helps. Have spent hours troubleshooting this back in the SAP BI 4.1 Ramp-Up days…