Sap HanaOne on AWS – Migration and Upgrade Guide Rev 48 -> Rev 52.1 -> HANA SP6 Rev68
Sap HanaOne on AWS – Migration and Upgrade Guide:
Rev 48 -> Rev 52.1 -> HANA SP6 Rev68
- Take backup of old instance Rev 48 from Hana Studio or AWS HanaOne Console.
- The backup files are stored on the Hana One Server at /backup/HDB/data with the prefix (COMPLETE_DATA_BACKUP).
- Launch a new instance of 52.1 on AWS.
- Take Backup HANA database of the new instance of 52.1 ONLY from Hana One Console.
- Logon to the AWS Hana One console and check if everything is working properly. Do the same with Hana Studio Administration Tab.
- Check that all services such as Nameserver, Indexserver, Preprocessor, Statisticsserver, XS Engine are showing green from AWS Hana One console as well as from Hana Studio.
- From AWS HanaOne console 52.1 -> select AddOns -> click on HANASP6 Ver68 -> download and install.
- Wait 20-30 minutes for the Upgrade to take place. After successful Upgrade the version changes to Rev68 and is shown in the installed tab.
- STOP the Hana EC2 instance on AWS console.
- START the Hana EC2 instance on AWS console.
- Next, one critical step to perform is to start the Scriptserver, from Hana Studio Administration tab by changing the parameters from 0 to 1 at 2 locations in the daemon.ini -> scriptserver. Scriptserver is not started by default, which is leads to the HDBDAEMON FAILURE while recover, and hence resulting in complete FAILURE of hana instance.
Note : SAP has not mentioned anywhere about starting the scriptserver during backup and recovery operations and it is not a mandatory step, but we found out through server side research that the scriptserver is being called while recovery and hence leading to hdbdaemon failure when scriptserver is not running.
- Now, upload the backed-up files to the Upgraded HanaOne Rev68 at /backup/HDB/data using WinSCP.
- Login to this server from PuTTy as root and go to the above location and change the permissions of all the backed-up files to show the owner as hdbadm:sapsys with the following command:
- chown – R hdbadm:sapsys COMPLETE_DATA_BACKUP_*.*
- ls –lrt shows the listing of the files with changed owner.
- Download and Install the Rev 68 HanaStudio and Client from Downloads tab on AWS HanaOne Console.
- Check whether all servers are running as above, including the ScriptServer.
- Right click on Added Instance in HanaStudio -> click on RECOVER -> console opens up asking for HDBADM (<sid>ADM) password -> provide the password.
- Agree to shutdown the system and then select only a specific data backup option.
- Specify the backup files.
- Check all the parameter and click on Finish button to start recovery. Ignore new license key install.
- Wait till recovery is complete and after successful recovery, you will see the following message.
- System HDB was recovered successfully.
- Open HanaStudio Rev68 and do Testing of the migrated Catalog Tables and Content Packages.
Great write up Shambhu.
Do you also have latest HANA One version migration (Rev 70 to Rev 9x)?
It will be very very useful.