In this short blog I just wanted to make you aware of a little-known but very handy option that the Adaptation Mode offers in Cloud for Customer. I guess you all know that it is really easy to create new fields and add those to the Header part of a business object. This way, fields are shown on the left side of the business object’s page. In case you would like to add many new fields, or want to add them but not show them on the main overview, it is also possible to add new tabs to a standard business object.
What is less known, however, is that you can easily move any header field (standard or key user) to the new tab(s) you created yourself. This way you can customize the screen exactly according to your business needs.
Let me show in an example with a few screenshots below:
- Go to the business object you would like to extend. In my example, I use the Account for this.
- Go into Adaptation Mode. On the right hand, you should select Tabs in the Screen Layout part. The tabs will then be shown in the bottom and you can click on Add. Give the tab a name and click OK:
- The new tab is created and shown immediately:
- Now scroll down to the Extension Fields part on the right-hand side. As you can see you can only create new fields in the Header.
- Let’s create a new field and ensure it is visible. As you can see, it is added to the Header by default. So far, nothing new maybe…
- But now it gets interesting: you can simply drag and drop the field to the new tab (please forgive me for the silly arrow, but you know what I mean).
Note: you can do the same thing with the standard fields. As an example I also included Parent Account.
- After you save and publish your changes, this will give the following screen:
So, summarizing: it is really easy to create new fields and add those to a new tab. You just need to go ‘via’ the header to make them available. BTW, you can still make the field also available on the header by selecting the Visible flag in the extension field’s details.