Three things to know when migrating SAP BW on HANA
to ensure a smooth migration of the existing SAP BW System from Release 7.0 (including SEM, BPC and IP) and onwards the following three topics must be considered.
- shrink the data which will be moved to the row store of the SAP HANA database with the SAP BW housekeeping task lists
- shrink the data which will be moved to the column store of the SAP HANA database with the SAP-NLS Solution
- use the database migration option (DMO) as part of the SUM tool for the in-place migration including upgrade/migration/unicode* steps, see the Blog from the DMO Product Management.
please note that all nZx technologies available for SUM natively only, so they are not available with the DMO option for SAP BW due to the difference between an Upgrade and a Migration.
The on Premise use case – minimized production downtime with the combination BW-PCA and DMO
The HEC use case – moving BW on Premise to the HANA enterprice cloud with the combination BW-PCA and DMO
further Information can also bve found in the following Documents (each of them is an own blog itself)
- SAP First Guidance – SAP-NLS Solution with SAP IQ
- SAP First Guidance – Migration BW on HANA using the DMO option in SUM
- SAP First Guidance – BW Housekeeping and BW-PCA
Also the new SEM Add-On modeling on top of the NetWeaver BW System allows a much quicker creation of the needed stack.xml for the DMO procedure.
ℹ See the Article in the German DSAG Magazine Blaupause – http://blaupause.dsag.de/sites/default/files/Database%20Migration%20Option.pdf
Roland Kramer, PM EDW (BW/HANA/IQ), SAP SE