SAP NetWeaver 7.4@TechEd 2013
During the TechEd 2013 (Vegas & Amsterdam) we ran several SAP NetWeaver Roadmap Q&A sessions. Here is a short summary of questions we were asked by participating customers and partners:
- Can we develop SAP UI5 applications if we are on NetWeaver 7.31 or NetWeaver 7.0X release?
- Yes, you can. If you have a Gateway system, which is on release 7.0X or higher you can develop and run UI5 applications on this Gateway system and address any attached backend system. For additional information check https://sapui5.netweaver.ondemand.com/sdk/#docs/guide/ODataModel.html
- What is the difference between Virtual Appliances you can get via Cloud Appliance Library (CAL) which are deployed in Amazon Cloud (AWS) and SAP HANA Enterprice Cloud?
- When a customer runs SAP products (e.g. the trial version of NetWeaver 7.4 on HANA) as Virtual Appliance in the Amazon Cloud, the customer does it in his own Amazon account. The customer uses Amazon as the infrastructure provider. Consequently, all policies which are part of the contract between Amazon and the customer apply. When the customer decides to run his product in SAP HANA Enterprice Cloud, he gets an SAP HANA Enterprice account, his software runs in SAP data centers and consequently contract policies between SAP and the customer apply. For more information check SAP Cloud Appliance Library
- Does the SAP Release Train for Eclipse strategy also apply for SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio (NWDS)?
- As NWDS is an all in one install offering it does not follow SAP’s Eclipse release train strategy.
- Can we move to SAP NetWeaver 7.4 including SAP HANA without applying EHP7 of SAP ERP?
- No, you cannot upgrade the underlying foundation of Business Suite. However if you use a standalone NetWeaver hub (e.g. SAP Portal) you can upgrade the Portal to NetWeaver 7.4 without applying any Business Suite EHPs since Suite content will be available for all core Suite releases (Business Suite 7, Suite i2010, i2011).
If you have further questions, just add a comment here.
For more information about SAP NetWeaver 7.4 check the page: SAP NetWeaver 7.4 SP8 – Optimized for SAP HANA, Cloud and Mobile – Service Release 2 available now!
Karl and Monika